In keeping with policies of other marketplaces, and in accordance with IRS reporting rules, Udemy does not issue 1099-MISCs to Instructors. To access your yearly earning report, you can view your earnings directly from your PayPal or Payoneer account, by following the directions in the article below.
All Instructors are users of the Udemy platform. No matter the type of income you’re reporting, you are not considered an employee of Udemy. As such, you are not required to provide Udemy’s EIN (Employer Identification Number) on your tax return.
Q: How can I see right now how much I made from Udemy last year?
A: The most reliable way to see how much you earned from Udemy over a given date range is to query your PayPal or Payoneer account for payments received from Udemy.
To do this for PayPal, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to this link in your PayPal account (web platform required)
- Select the date range for your query (i.e. 01/01/16 start to 12/31/16 End)
- Filter by Transaction Type “Payments Received”
- Add “Udemy” as an additional filter
- See query results for payment sum (screenshot here)
To do this for Payoneer, please follow these steps:
- Log into Payoneer and navigate to My Account on your dashboard
- Click on the Activity ‘drop-down’ menu and select Payment History (you can also view your payments and monthly statements by clicking on View Transactions)
- Select the range of dates for your query (i.e. 01/01/17 start to 12/31/17 End). You can download the report as a PDF if you wish.
- Search for payments from “Udemy” in the Loader column
- Add up these payments to determine how much revenue you were paid by Udemy in 2017
Steps on how to access your payment history in your Payoneer account can also be viewed in this video.
Q: Isn't a Form 1099-MISC required to file my taxes?
A: No. You are obligated to report income you receive, whether or not that income is reported on IRS Form 1099-MISC or any other tax report.
Q: Can someone at Udemy help me figure out how to declare my income?
A: Udemy is not able to provide you with any tax advice. As every person's situation is different, we recommend that you consult your own tax advisor.
Q: Will I have to fill out a Form W-9 if Udemy is not issuing my Form 1099-MISC?
A: Udemy is required by the IRS to collect Form W-9 (US Instructors) and Form W-8BEN (non-US Instructors). Instructors earning revenue from Udemy will need to fill out the appropriate form.
Q: Previously Udemy issued Form 1099-MISCs to instructors. Why did Udemy stop?
A: We reviewed our practices in light of what other platforms are doing and the recently changed IRS guidelines for companies using third party payment processors, we have determined that Udemy, Inc. is not subject to issuing 1099 MISC forms. Payments made through third party networks like PayPal and Payoneer are not subject to reporting through the 1099-MISC, rather it is the responsibility for the payment processor to issue any tax forms. Other platforms like TaskRabbit and Uber follow this practice. PayPal and Payoneer only issue Form 1099-K to payees who received over $20,000 and more than 200 transactions in a given year. Udemy pays instructors twelve times a year, so payments from Udemy alone would not qualify you to receive this form from PayPal or Payoneer.