In keeping with policies of other marketplaces, and in accordance with IRS reporting rules, Udemy does not issue 1099-MISCs to Instructors. To access your yearly earnings report, you can view your earnings directly from your PayPal or Payoneer account, by following the directions in the article below.
All Instructors are users of the Udemy platform. No matter the type of income you’re reporting, you are not considered an employee of Udemy. As such, you are not required to provide Udemy’s EIN (Employer Identification Number) on your tax return.
Q: How can I see right now how much I made from Udemy last year?
A: The most reliable way to see how much you earned from Udemy over a given date range is to query your PayPal or Payoneer account for payments received from Udemy.
To do this for PayPal, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to this link in your PayPal account (web platform required)
- Select the date range for your query (i.e. 01/01/18 start to 12/31/18 of the calendar year)
- Filter by Transaction Type “Payments Received”
- Add “Udemy” as an additional filter
- See query results for payment sum (see image below)
To do this for Payoneer, please follow these steps:
- Log into Payoneer.
- From the Main page, select Activity from the toolbar and select Transactions from the drop-down menu.
- Using the date filter for transactions, select the date range you want to select (i.e. 01/01/18 start to 12/31/18 of the calendar year).
- Use the Search tool to query Udemy to display only transactions from Udemy.
- You can export the report as a .csv, .pdf, or print directly from this page using the designated icons on the toolbar at the top of the transaction report.
Steps on how to access your payment history in your Payoneer account can also be viewed in this video.
Q: Isn't a Form 1099-MISC required to file my taxes?
A: No. You are obligated to report income you receive, whether or not that income is reported on IRS Form 1099-MISC or any other tax report.
Q: Can someone at Udemy help me figure out how to declare my income?
A: Udemy is not able to provide you with any tax advice. As every person's situation is different, we recommend that you consult your own tax advisor.
Q: Does Udemy need to issue my 1099-MISC?
A: For payments made through third party networks like PayPal and Payoneer, it is the responsibility of these payment processors themselves to issue any tax forms. Other platforms like TaskRabbit and Uber follow this practice. PayPal and Payoneer only issue Form 1099-K to payees who received over $20,000 and more than 200 transactions in a given year. Udemy pays instructors twelve times a year, so payments from Udemy alone would not qualify you to receive this form from PayPal or Payoneer.
Q: Will I have to fill out a Form W-9 if Udemy is not issuing my Form 1099-MISC?
A: Udemy is required by the IRS to collect Form W-9 (US Instructors) and Form W-8BEN (non-US Instructors). Instructors earning revenue from Udemy will need to fill out the appropriate form.