The assignments feature provides instructors with a comprehensive way for students to apply the knowledge and skills they’ve gained in your course. With assignments, instructors can create various questions for students to answer regarding the course concepts. In addition, instructors can upload instructions and solutions in video format, and provide feedback on the completed assignments students submit.
After students complete the assignment, they can compare their work with the instructor’s solutions, and receive feedback from their fellow students if they wish.
This article outlines how you can create assignments for your course, and in doing so, connect your students' new skills and knowledge with a real-world application.
Creating an Assignment
1. Navigate to the Curriculum page in your course management tools.
2. On the side, hover your cursor over the grey space within a section, where you want the assignment to be placed.
3. Click the + icon that appears and then Assignment. to begin creating the assignment.
4. Enter the assignment title and click Add Assignment.
After you click on Add Assignment, you can enter the assignment’s basic information by moving your cursor to the assignment title and by clicking on the pencil icon.
The basic information includes the assignment’s title, a description, and the estimated time it will take for students to complete it (in minutes). Once you have entered the assignment’s basic information, click Save to proceed.
On this page, you will enter the instructions for the assignment. The instructions can be in either video or text format. If you include both, the instructions in text will appear below the video. Students can add text, images, external links or code to their submissions.
Please note that the instructions must be 65K characters or less. Images that are to be uploaded by a student for their submission must be smaller than 30 MB in size, and can be in .JPG, .PNG. or .BMP file format.
The instructions should describe the activity, the purpose of the assignment, what your students need to do, and list any materials that are needed to complete it. You can also upload any downloadable resources here that students can use to complete the assignment.
On the Questions page you will create the assignment’s questions. Each assignment must include at least one question. You can add as many questions as you'd like, but please consider that students will type their answers into a text box next to each question.
Once you have finished entering the question, click on Submit. Then, to create another question, click on Add more.
Please note that each assignment can have a maximum of 12 questions added to it.
After you’ve finished creating the assignment’s questions, click on Solutions on the left hand side of the page.
On the Solutions page can you can enter answers for the questions you’ve created, and upload a video for your students to view, where you discuss the assignment’s solution. In addition, downloadable resources can also be added to this page.
Please note that the solution for each question must be 65K characters or less.
To enter text responses for the questions you’ve created, click on Add answer, which appears under the question. Once you’ve entered the solution, click Submit.
Previewing and Publishing the Assignment
You can preview the assignment at any time, to see how it will appear to your students, by clicking on Preview at the top right hand of the page.
Once you have entered the assignment’s basic information, instructions, questions and solutions, you can publish the assignment by clicking on Publish to the left of the Preview icon.
Editing the Assignment
If you need to edit the assignment after it’s been published, you can do so at any time. On the course Curriculum page, move your cursor to the assignment, and then click on the pencil icon that appears beside the assignment’s title.
Providing and Reviewing Feedback
After a student has completed an assignment you will receive a notification. You can review their answers and provide feedback by following the steps below:
1. Click on the notification in the bell dropdown menu at the top of the page, or you can also access the feedback option by clicking on Communication and then Assignments in the instructor view (more information here).
2. Completed assignments that have been submitted will appear on this page. You can use the various filter options on the left-hand side to search through the completed assignments, based on the feedback type the assignment’s received (none, instructor only, student only or both), the sharing preference the student chose (instructor only or public), or newest to oldest, and vice versa.
3. Click on the assignment you wish to provide feedback for and enter it in the Give Feedback section. Once you’ve entered your response, click on Submit.
Please note: currently assignments are not supported on the Udemy mobile app. Students can take and complete assignments by opening the lecture in a desktop or laptop computer.
Instructors can create up to 100 assignments per course. In total, 1400 curriculum items can be created for a course (sections, lectures, quizzes, coding exercises, practice tests and assignments), and 700 of those items can be published at any given time.