Instructors receive several kinds of email notifications related to Udemy, their courses and messages they're sent by students. In addition, some notifications can be accessed in your account’s notification bell at the top of the page. This article outlines how you can edit your notification settings, and the different types of notifications you may receive.
Please note: direct messaging and the Q&A are not available in free courses.
Editing the Notification Settings for Your Instructor Account
You can edit the notification settings for your Udemy account by following the steps below:
1. Move your cursor to the the top right-hand corner of the page
2. Click on Account from the drop-down menu and then Notification Settings
3. Select the notifications you wish to receive. Please note: if you want to receive instructor email notifications like the Daily Q&A Digest, or the New Student & Review Daily Digest, make sure to check the box next to Helpful resources and important updates related to being an instructor on Udemy.
4. If you don't wish to receive any emails from Udemy, then click on the box beside Don't send me any promotional emails.
Please note: if you check this box, you will not receive any instructor email notifications like the Daily Q&A Digest, the New Student & Review Daily Digest and lecture ready confirmations. In addition, you will not receive preview emails you request for your educational announcements or promotional emails.
Transactional emails, notifications for Q&A replies (not to be confused with the Daily Q&A Digest), and notifications for new direct messages you've been sent cannot be disabled.
5. After you have edited your notification settings, click Save
Editing the Notification Settings for a Specific Course
Instructors can also edit the notification settings for each of their courses, and select whether they wish to receive Lecture Ready Emails and the Daily Q&A Digest for a specific course.
First, make sure that the box is checked next to Helpful resources and important updates related to being an instructor on Udemy. Then to edit the notification settings for a specific course, please follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the course management page and click the Settings gear icon on the right
- Next, click Manage Email Notifications
- Select the notifications you wish to receive for that course and click save
For steps on how to edit the notification settings for a specific course you’re enrolled in as a student, please refer to this article.
Notifications: Email vs. Onsite
Depending on an instructor’s notification settings, they will receive a variety of email notifications regarding Udemy, their courses and student activity. These email notifications will be sent to the email address that you have registered for your Udemy account.
Some of the notifications that instructors will receive emails for include:
- new direct messages
- confirmation that your promotional email or educational announcement is on its way
- promotional email and educational announcement previews
- lecture ready confirmations
- Q&A replies
- The Daily Q&A Digest
- the New Student and Review Digest
- course invitations to students (for private courses).
In addition, instructors are delivered various on-site notifications, which can be accessed in your account’s notification bell at the top of the page. Some of the on-site notifications that are posted include:
- new questions and responses in the Q&A
- comments on course announcements
- feedback and responses for assignments
- confirmation that your course has received auto-generated captions
Onsite notifications are indicated by a red number that appears in the notification bell located at the top right of the page. By clicking on the bell, you will able to scroll through and click on the notification you wish to read.