Effective March 8, 2018.
This Pricing and Promotions Policy includes all of the information on Our pricing, optional marketing programs, and promotions.
For the Pricing and Promotions Policy in languages other than English, please refer to the links posted below.
- (German) Richtlinien für Preise und Werbeaktionen
- (Spanish) Política de precios y promociones
- (French) Politique tarifaire et promotionnelle
- (Italian) Politica sui prezzi e sulle promozioni
- (Japanese) 日本向け価格設定およびプロモーションに関するポリシー
- (Polish) Polityka dotycząca cen i promocji
- (Portuguese) Política de Preços e Promoções
- (Turkish) Fiyatlandırma ve Promosyon Politikası
- (Dutch) Prijs- en promotiebeleid
- (Chinese - Traditional) 定價與促銷政策
- (Chinese - Simplified) 定价和推广政策
- (Korean) 가격책정 및 프로모션 방침
- (Russian) Политика ценообразования и стимулирования продаж
We will provide You notice via email or a notification on the Udemy website prior to any material changes to this Pricing and Promotions Policy taking effect. If You have any questions on this policy, please email Our Support team using the form below.
Any version of this Pricing and Promotions Policy in a language other than English is provided for convenience and You understand and agree that the English language will control if there is any conflict.
Selecting a Base Price
As an Instructor, You may select a Tier governing the Base Price for Your Course from the Udemy price tier matrix (summary of which is provided below). You can do so by going to the “Price Edit” screen in Your Instructor Account. Thereafter, Students will see the price selected, unless otherwise adjusted pursuant to the terms of this Pricing and Promotions Policy. This price tier matrix will be updated periodically according to market conditions or as exchange rates change. Notwithstanding, in connection with promotional programs, certain Courses may be priced at higher prices at Udemy’s discretion
Except when a Course is made available through Udemy’s Marketing Programs, or when a Course is offered on Udemy's mobile applications, an Instructor will be solely responsible for determining the Base Price to be charged for such Course, in accordance with the Instructor Terms. In the case of Courses offered on Udemy's mobile applications, the mobile platform provider’s pricing matrix will control and the provider will select the price tier that is closest to the Course price set by the Instructor. Please note that currency conversion on mobile platforms is controlled by those platforms and accordingly your Course price may appear as different than the pricing tier You selected.
As set forth in the price tier matrix, Udemy currently offers students the ability to buy courses in the following currencies: American Dollar (USD), British Pound (GBP), Euro (EUR), Japanese Yen (JPY), Singaporean Dollar (SGD), Mexican Peso (MXN), Brazilian Real (BRL), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Australian Dollar (AUD), Israel Shekel (ILS), Thailand Baht (THB), Taiwan New Dollar (TWD) South African Rand (ZAR), Indian Rupee (INR), Polish Zloty (PLN), Turkish Lira (TRY), Norway Krone (NOK); and South Korea Won (KRW).
Currencies on Mobile
Notwithstanding the above, the Udemy mobile application supports all currencies offered by the mobile platform providers (such as Apple and Google). You can see the currency and how much a Student bought the Course for by accessing “Your Revenue” for each purchase on Your Instructor revenue report.
Revenue Share and Taxes
As set forth in Section 9 of the Instructor Terms, If You do not opt into the Udemy Marketing Programs (see below), We will pay You fifty percent (50%) of the Net Amount received for Your Course less any applicable deductions such as Student refunds (“Standard Revenue Share”). Should You decide to opt in to any of Our Marketing Programs, the relevant revenue share may be different, as defined for each program.
Udemy makes all payments to Instructors in USD regardless of the currency in which the Student transacts. Udemy will assume all transaction processing fees, excluding foreign currency conversion.
When the country from which the Student purchases the Course requires Udemy to remit Value Added Tax (VAT) or GST (Goods & Services Tax), We will deduct the tax amount from the Course Sale Price when calculating the Net Amount. The Net Amount will be split between Udemy and Instructors under the applicable revenue share model.
Countries requiring VAT / GST currently include all European Union (EU) countries, the U.K., South Korea, Japan, New Zealand and Australia, but Udemy reserves the right to add additional countries to this list as necessary.
When applicable, Udemy charges and pays European Union taxes for website purchases. In the case of mobile in-app purchases, European Union tax is collected and paid by Apple and Google respectively.
Your revenue report will display the local Sales Price (in localized currency) and the applied exchange rates:
You can view additional information by clicking on an individual transaction.
Udemy’s Marketing Programs for Paid Courses
Udemy gives Instructors an opportunity to opt into the following currently available marketing programs (“Marketing Programs”) via Your Instructor Account. To participate in any of these programs or adjust Your preferences, log in to Your Udemy Account and click this link: https://www.udemy.com/user/edit-promotional-agreements/ , then scroll down to the relevant program check each box to opt in, and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click save to apply Your settings. The specific deals may change from time to time to optimize Your revenue, but the most current deals are below:
- Udemy Deals Program: Targeted to Drive Sales of Your Courses.
- a) Millions of Students enroll in Courses every year through the Udemy Deals program. Both of the promotional channels that make up the Udemy Deals program are powerful levers to help You maximize Your revenue potential on Udemy. The Udemy Deals program utilizes highly segmented discounting via email and other channels designed to optimize sales of Your Course. You may choose to participate in either or both of the following programs, “Percentage Promotions” and/or “Fixed-Price Promotions”:
- The “Percentage Promotions” program allows Udemy to offer Your Course for a discount of up to and including 75% off the Base Price (or slightly higher for rounding off prices); and
- The “Fixed-Price Promotions” program allows Udemy to offer Your Course for a fixed price that is less than the Base Price, but no less than approximately $10 USD (e.g., $10, $19 or $29 deals) except in Brazil, Mexico, India, Turkey and South Africa. Please note, the Sale Price under Fixed-Price Promotions may represent a discount exceeding 75% depending on the applicable Base Price.
- b) Udemy Deals program offers may be promoted via the Services, communications to Users, or Third Party Platforms. You understand and agree that the actual duration may vary for any specific Udemy Deal program.
- c) Revenue Share: By participating in the Udemy Deals program, You acknowledge that (i) Your revenue share will vary, but may be up to 50% of Net Amount in most territories; and (ii) not all programs are available in all geographic territories.
- Udemy Marketing Boost Program: A Multi-Channel Marketing Program to Drive Sales of Your Course.
- a) Udemy has a network of tens of thousands of partner sites ("Affiliates") and established relationships with third-party deal sites ("Deal Partners," and with Affiliates, "External Partners"). We also have an entire team dedicated to using advanced digital marketing tactics (such as paid advertising). The Udemy Marketing Boost program is the Udemy Marketing Program that promotes Courses through Affiliates and Third Party Platforms Deal Partners such as Facebook. There is no upfront cost to this program.
- b) When Udemy, at its option, purchases and places advertisements for Your Course on Third Party Platforms, and tracks the resulting sales through appropriate means (including, but not limited to, tracking pixels, cookies and the like) ("Paid Advertising"), there will be fees associated with such Paid Advertising activities.
- c) Revenue Share: By participating in the Udemy Marketing Boost program, You agree that Udemy: (i) may employ External Partners and undertake Paid Advertising to promote Your Courses; (ii) not all programs are available in all geographic territories; and (iii) may deduct External Partner fees or Paid Advertising fees before calculating the Net Amount. You acknowledge that in connection with the Udemy Marketing Boost program, Your revenue share may vary, but will be 25% of Net Amount in most cases.
- Udemy For Business Program: An Opportunity for Inclusion in Udemy’s Subscription Offering for Businesses.
- a) By applying for our Udemy for Business (UFB) program, You agree to make all of Your Courses eligible for inclusion in the Udemy for Business collection, a subscription-based course collection available to business customers (“UFB Customers”). Udemy may elect which of Your Courses to include in the Udemy for Business collection for a UFB Customer, and may change the selection of Courses in the Udemy for Business collection from time to time, in its sole discretion, in response to the needs and requests of UFB Customers. Because our Udemy for Business offering is based on a subscription model, the Sale Prices for Courses included in the UFB program are at Udemy's discretion.
- b) You understand and agree that by participating in the UFB program, You may not unpublish or make Your Courses private during the term of Your participation.
- c) Termination. You can choose to terminate Your participation in the UFB program at any time. Udemy will remove Your Courses from the Udemy for Business collection within six (6) months of termination and will continue to pay You revenue share based on the then-current rates until Your Courses are removed from the Udemy for Business collection. Once your courses are removed from the Udemy for Business collection, UFB Customers will no longer be able to enroll in Your Courses and you will no longer earn UFB program revenue share, but any student of a UFB Customer who previously enrolled in Your Courses will continue to be able to access those Courses for as long as the UFB Customer remains subscribed to Udemy for Business.
- d) Revenue. You will earn fees for consumption of Your Courses offered through the UFB program. These fees will be calculated as follows:
- Each month, Udemy will calculate the total monthly subscription fees paid by all current UFB Customers minus any applicable sales or value-added taxes, foreign exchange fees, and third-party payment processing fees.
- Twenty-five percent (25%) of this amount will be allocated to Instructors participating in the UFB program ("Instructor Revenue Pool") as further described below.
- Each month, Udemy will calculate the total minutes of course content in the Udemy for Business collection consumed by all current UFB Customers ("Total Minutes Consumed").
- Each month, Udemy will also calculate how many of the Total Minutes Consumed are attributable to each of Your Courses that were included in the Udemy for Business collection that month ("Your Course Minutes").
- To calculate your revenue share each month, Udemy will divide the Instructor Revenue Pool by the Total Minutes Consumed, then multiply that per-minute amount by Your Course Minutes.
Instructor Created Coupons
As an Instructor, You may be able to increase Your sales by promoting Your Courses by using a coupon code (“Coupon Code”) that You have created on Udemy in accordance with the instructions found at:https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229603968.
You will receive ninety-seven percent (97%) of the Net Amount (as defined in the Instructor Terms) from those Student who input Your Coupon Code at the time they enroll in Your Course, except in the territory of Japan where You will receive ninety-six percent (96%) of the Net Amount.
By using Coupon Codes, You may offer Your Courses at any percentage discount, provided Your Course Sale Price does not fall below approximately $10 USD. Alternatively, You may also offer Your Courses for free, i.e. at a full 100% off of the Base Price. Note that the actual discount may be slightly higher due to rounding and currency conversion. Notwithstanding the foregoing, You may issue Coupon Codes that allow Users to take Your Course for free.
As an Instructor, You should be aware that the currency Your Students see on the Services may be different than the currency at which You listed Your Course. Your coupon will still work and it will give a proportional discount in any of the Udemy supported currencies.
When the country of the Student requires Us to charge tax, Course prices set by Instructors are inclusive of tax in the transaction. When an Instructor sees this transaction in the revenue report, the revenue share is calculated from the price the Student paid minus tax.
This policy may be updated from time to time. Check back here and the Teach Hub to stay current with Udemy product releases.