This article explains how to create your instructor account and profile and begin the process of creating a course on Udemy. It also provides resources on the different ways to set up your account.
Please note: There is no fee or cost required to open or maintain an instructor account.
- View our Frequently Asked Questions on teaching at Udemy.
- View our Teaching Center resources to learn how to create your online course.
Table of Contents
- Before you begin
- How to create an instructor account
- Update your instructor profile
- Upload your profile picture
- Update your privacy settings
- Ready to create a course?
- Become a Premium Instructor
- Collaborate on a course
- Create an instructor account as a business
Before you begin
Before you begin, please make sure you have the following:
- Email address where you can receive emails.
- For Premium Instructors: a PayPal or Payoneer account to set up your Udemy payment method and receive payments.
- Instructors who reside in the United States with a U.S. bank account can also use direct deposit to receive Udemy payments.
How to create an instructor account
2. Click Get Started.
3. You will be asked to answer some questions about your teaching experience. Please follow the instructions on the screen.
4. Once you have completed the questionnaire, you will be directed to the instructor dashboard, a dedicated space for instructors to create and manage their courses.
- Learn how to navigate the instructor dashboard.
Update your instructor profile
After creating your instructor account, we recommend updating your profile which will be publicly visible to learners once your first course is published.
- Learn more about our quality standards for instructor profiles.
To edit your instructor profile, double-click on the circular icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
The information you enter in this tab will be visible to the public as your instructor profile once the course is published. You can edit the information at any point in time.
- First Name and Last Name: Enter your instructor name.
- Please note:
- If you plan to use a pseudonym, pen name, or business name, additional verification may be required (Learn more).
- As a global platform, registered names are displayed in the order of "First Name + Last Name". If you would like your name to appear in the order of "Last Name + First Name", please enter your last name in the First Name field and your first name in the Last Name field.
- Please note:
- Headline: Your occupation, specialization, and qualification
- Biography: Your professional and personal profile to help learners learn more about you
- Language: Your primary language
- Links: Your website and your social networking services. For your social networking services, please make sure to only enter the "account name" of the URL
When you are ready, click Save at the bottom of the screen.
Upload your profile picture
1. After accessing your Profile & settings page, click on Profile picture tab on your profile.
2. Click on Upload image and include a high-quality, non-pixelated, non-animated image of yourself. If you are publishing as a company, you can upload your corporate logo.
3. Adjust the position and size of the image, and then click Crop Image. The image will appear round on your profile page, so make sure your face or logo is centered.
4. Click Save
Update your privacy settings
To update your privacy settings, click on the Privacy settings tab on your profile.
Check the boxes to adjust your privacy settings. You can adjust your settings to have your profile only visible to logged-in users or to show the courses you are enrolled in on your profile.
Please note: Once you become a published instructor your privacy settings will default to make your profile visible to the public, your profile will be searchable in search engines, and your profile will only include the courses you are teaching (excluding any private courses).
Ready to create a course?
Become a Premium Instructor
If you plan on selling your course on Udemy’s marketplace, you will need to register as a Premium Instructor to set a price for your course. Learn how to become a Premium Instructor.
Collaborate on a course
If you are collaborating with multiple people to create or manage a course, each person must create an instructor account. Learn how to register different types of instructor accounts with varying permissions.
Please note: Any accounts which are to receive a share of the revenue must become registered as a Premium instructor. For additional information, please view our guidelines for co-instructors.
Create an instructor account as a business
You can open a Udemy instructor account as a business, company, or organization. While the process for creating an account is the same, we may need to reach out to the representative of your company during the instructor verification process to confirm the association.