Out of concerns for piracy, by default, courses are not available for download on a computer. If instructors wish, however, they can enable the downloading feature, so lectures can be downloaded for offline viewing on a computer.
This article explains how you can check to see if a lecture is enabled for downloading, and how you can download it to your computer if it is.
- Due to certain platform security measures, the ability to download a lecture video on a computer may not be available for all courses.
- For information on how Udemy works, and how you can begin taking your course online, please click here.
- Course lectures can be downloaded for offline viewing on the Udemy mobile app. More information is available in these articles:
How to download a lecture
To check and see if an instructor has enabled downloading for a lecture, move your cursor to the gear icon at the bottom right of the lecture player.
If Download lecture is not grayed out, then you will be able to download it to your computer, by clicking on those two words.
If the lecture is not available to download, you can ask the instructor if they can enable the downloading feature. Some instructors are willing to make exceptions, but the final decision is always up to them.
Quality resolution for downloaded videos
Please note that the quality resolution of the downloaded video, will match the quality you had set, when you were viewing the course at Udemy.com. For example, if you're viewing the video with a resolution of 720p, then the video that's downloaded to your desktop or laptop will match this resolution.
This article explains how you can adjust the video quality of a lecture.
The video is taking too long to download
If the lecture is enabled for download to your computer, but it’s taking too long to download the video, please test your internet connection speed. If the internet speed is low (less than 5 Mbps) then please try the following:
- Lower the video quality of the lecture so the file size for the download is smaller (see the section above).
- Restart your modem/router to see if your internet connection improves.
- Try downloading the videos at a time when your internet connection is stronger.