This article explains how to fix some of the more common issues related to downloading courses and lectures on the Udemy mobile app. Steps on how to download course and lectures on the mobile app can be read in the articles below:
Before doing any of the steps below, please be sure you’re using the latest version of the Udemy mobile app.
The video download is taking too long
Test your internet connection speed to see if this could be why the videos are taking too long to download. If the internet speed is low (less than 5 Mbps) then please try the following:
- Lower the video download quality of the lecture so the file size for the download is smaller.
- If the course includes multiple, long lectures, try downloading individual lectures or sections instead of the entire course at once.
- Keep the app open and in the foreground so the downloading finishes more quickly.
- Try downloading the courses at a time when your internet connection is stronger.
- Restart your modem/router to see if your internet connection improves.
If you’re still encountering issues downloading the video, and your internet connection is strong, then please try these steps:
- Cancel all downloads in progress and then restart the app to download the content again.
- Check to see if you have enabled download over WiFi only (see below).
- Delete the Udemy app from the home screen and then reinstall it on your device. Please note that any offline content you’ve saved from your courses will be removed completely after the app reinstallation. You will need to re-download the content once again
The lecture cannot be downloaded
In some cases, you will not see a download icon for certain lectures on the course curriculum, as not all lectures can be downloaded. For instance, quizzes cannot be downloaded for offline viewing.
Accessing non-video downloads
If you downloaded a non-video file lecture (a PDF lecture, for example), the file is downloaded to your device's storage. Instead of accessing it from the Udemy app, please open your device's Downloads folder.
Locating downloaded files in your device’s internal storage
Due to piracy concerns the downloaded files are encrypted, and as a result, you can only access the video lecture within the app itself and not in your device’s internal storage.
Downloading over wifi only is enabled
If you're using your mobile data network rather than Wi-Fi to download the course, please make sure that the download via Wi-Fi only setting is unchecked. You can do this by going into the Download options page on the Android app, or the Download options page on the iOS device.
If you're using the Android app, you can navigate to the Account page by tapping the menu icon that appears at the upper-left corner of the Featured or My Courses screen. Then, choose Download options under the Video preferences section and toggle the Download over Wi-Fi only off.
If you're using the iOS app, you can navigate to Download options by clicking the Account icon at the bottom right of the My Courses, Wishlist, Featured or Search screen.