Instructors can use the messaging tool to send a private message to any student enrolled in your course, or to respond to a direct message a student has sent you. This article outlines how instructors can use the direct messaging tool, or disable the feature, if they do not wish to send or receive direct messages as an instructor.
How to access the messaging tool and send a private message
To access the messaging tool for your account, and send a student a private message, follow the steps below:
1. After logging into Udemy click Instructor at the top of the page.
2. Click the Communications icon on the left-hand side and then click Messages.
3. Click Compose on the right-hand side. Enter the student’s name in the box under New Message (the tool will automatically search for matching names as you type).
4. Type your message and click Send. When a message is sent, the student will receive an email, and a notification will appear on their Udemy profile.
How to respond to a message
When you receive a direct message from a student you will receive a notification email. You can respond to the message by clicking Reply to Message in the notification email you receive.
You can also respond to messages directly on the Messages page.
Categorizing and searching through your messages
On the Messages page you can categorize your messages by using filter options like marking them as unread or important. The filter option can be accessed by clicking the three dots beside the message.
You can also prioritize specific groups of messages by selecting Unread, Important, Not answered and Show automated messages. If you wish, you can search through your messages by typing the student’s name in the search tool.
How to turn off direct messaging
If you wish to turn off direct messaging, so that the Q&A and Help Center are the primary ways students find answers to their questions, follow the steps below.
1. Navigate to your Account page and select Message settings.
2. Select Turn off direct messaging and click Save. You will no longer be able to receive or send messages as an instructor (for any of your courses).
When a student attempts to send a message they will see a notification indicating that the instructor has turned off direct messaging, and that they can look for answers to their questions in the Q&A and Help Center.
- Instructors who turn off direct messaging will still be able to use the messaging tool as a student (when applicable).
- Automatic messages, as well as educational and promotional announcements for your courses will not be impacted by turning off direct messaging.
Blocking a message or reporting abuse
If you need to block future messages from a particular student, then select Block from the message options. Please note that if you send that student a message, however, then the message thread will be unblocked.
If you believe the message violates Udemy’s Terms of Service or Community Guidelines, then click Report abuse, and the message will be flagged for review by our staff.