For the previous version, effective now through August 22, 2016, click here.
This Pricing and Promotions Policy includes all of the information on Our pricing, optional marketing programs, and promotions commencing August 22, 2016.
For the Pricing and Promotions Policy in languages other than English, please refer to the links posted below.
(German) Richtlinien für Preise und Werbeaktionen (gültig ab 22. August 2016)
(Portuguese) Política de Preços e Promoções (em vigor a partir de 22 de agosto de 2016)
(Spanish) Política de precios y promociones (en vigor a partir del 22 de agosto de 2016)
(French) Politique tarifaire et promotionnelle (effective à compter du 22 août 2016)
(Chinese - Traditional) 定價與促銷政策（2016 年 8 月 22 日生效)
(Chinese - Simplified) 定价和推广政策（2016 年 8 月 22 日生效）
(Turkish) Fiyatlandırma ve Promosyon Politikası (22 Ağustos 2016 tarihinden itibaren geçerlidir)
(Korean) 가격책정 및 프로모션 방침 (2016년 8월 22일 시행)
(Russian) Политика ценообразования и стимулирования продаж (вступает в силу 22 августа 2016 г.)
(Italian) Politica sui prezzi e sulle promozioni (valida dal 22 agosto 2016)
We will provide You notice via email or a notification on the Udemy website prior to any material changes to this Pricing and Promotions Policy taking effect. If You have any questions on this policy, please email Our Support team using the form below.
Any version of this Pricing and Promotions Policy in a language other than English is provided for convenience and You understand and agree that the English language will control if there is any conflict.
Selecting a Base Price
As an Instructor, You may select a Tier governing the Base Price for Your Course from the Udemy price tier matrix (summary of which is provided below). You can do so by going to the “Price Edit” screen in Your Instructor Account. Thereafter, Students will see the price selected, unless otherwise adjusted pursuant to the terms of this Pricing and Promotions Policy. This price tier matrix will be updated periodically according to market conditions or as exchange rates change. Notwithstanding, in connection with promotional programs, certain Courses may be priced at higher prices at Udemy’s discretion
Except when a Course is made available through Udemy’s Marketing Programs, or when a Course is offered on Udemy's mobile applications, an Instructor will be solely responsible for determining the Base Price to be charged for such Course, in accordance with the Instructor Terms. In the case of Courses offered on Udemy's mobile applications, the mobile platform provider’s pricing matrix will control and the provider will select the price tier that is closest to the Course price set by the Instructor. Please note that currency conversion on mobile platforms is controlled by those platforms and accordingly your Course price may appear as different than the pricing tier You selected.
As set forth in the price tier matrix, Udemy currently offers students the ability to buy courses in the following currencies: American Dollar (USD), British Pound (GBP), Euro (EUR), Japanese Yen (JPY), Singaporean Dollar (SGD), Mexican Peso (MXN), Brazilian Real (BRL), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Australian Dollar (AUD), Israel Shekel (ILS), Thailand Baht (THB), Taiwan New Dollar (TWD) South African Rand (ZAR), Indian Rupee (INR), Polish Zloty (PLN), Turkish Lira (TRY), Norway Krone (NOK); and South Korea Won (KRW).
Currencies on Mobile
Notwithstanding the above, the Udemy mobile application supports all currencies offered by the mobile platform providers (such as Apple and Google). You can see the currency and how much a Student bought the Course for by accessing “Your Revenue” for each purchase on Your Instructor revenue report.
Revenue Share and Taxes
As set forth in Section 9 of the Instructor Terms, If You do not opt into the Udemy Marketing Programs (see below), We will pay You fifty percent (50%) of the Net Amount received for Your Course (except in the territory of Japan) less any applicable deductions such as Student refunds (“Standard Revenue Share”). Should You decide to opt in to any of Our Marketing Programs, the relevant revenue share may be different, as defined for each program.
Udemy makes all payments to Instructors in USD regardless of the currency in which the Student transacts. Udemy will assume all transaction processing fees, excluding foreign currency conversion.
When the country from which the Student purchases the Course requires Udemy to remit Value Added Tax (VAT) or GST (Goods & Services Tax), We will deduct the tax amount from the Course Sale Price when calculating the Net Amount. The Net Amount will be split between Udemy and Instructors under the applicable revenue share model.
Countries requiring VAT / GST currently include all European Union (EU) countries, the U.K., South Korea, Japan, New Zealand and Australia, but Udemy reserves the right to add additional countries to this list as necessary.
When applicable, Udemy charges and pays European Union taxes for website purchases. In the case of mobile in-app purchases, European Union tax is collected and paid by Apple and Google respectively.
Your revenue report will display the local Sales Price (in localized currency) and the applied exchange rates:
You can view additional information by clicking on an individual transaction.
Udemy’s Marketing Programs for Paid Courses
Udemy gives Instructors an opportunity to opt into the following currently available marketing programs (“Marketing Programs”) via Your Instructor Account. To participate in any of these programs or adjust Your preferences, log in to Your Udemy Account and click this link: https://www.udemy.com/user/edit-promotional-agreements/ , then scroll down to the relevant program check each box to opt in, and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click save to apply Your settings. The specific deals may change from time to time to optimize Your revenue, but the most current deals are below:
1. Udemy Deals Program: Targeted to Drive Sales of Your Course(s).
- a) Millions of Students enroll in Courses every year through the Udemy Deals program. Both of the promotional channels that make up the Udemy Deals program are powerful levers to help You maximize Your revenue potential on Udemy. The Udemy Deals program utilizes highly segmented discounting via email and other channels designed to optimize sales of Your Course. You may choose to participate in either or both of the following programs, “Percentage Promotions” and/or “Fixed-Price Promotions”:
- ○ The “Percentage Promotions” program allows Udemy to offer Your Course for a discount of up to and including 75% off the Base Price; and
- ○ The “Fixed-Price Promotions” program allows Udemy to offer Your Course for a fixed price that is less than the Base Price, but no less than approximately $10 USD (e.g., $10, $19 or $29 deals). Please note, the Sale Price under Fixed-Price Promotions may represent a discount exceeding 75% depending on the applicable Base Price.
- b) Udemy Deals program offers may be promoted via the Services, communications to Users, or Third Party Platforms. You understand and agree that the actual duration may vary for any specific Udemy Deal program.
- c) Revenue Share: By participating in the Udemy Deals program, You acknowledge that (i) Your revenue share will vary, but may be up to 50% of Net Amount in most territories; and (ii) not all programs are available in all geographic territories.
2. Udemy Marketing Boost Program: A Multi-Channel Marketing Program to Drive Sales of Your Course.
- a) Udemy has a network of tens of thousands of partner sites ("Affiliates") and established relationships with third-party deal sites ("Deal Partners," and with Affiliates, "External Partners"). We also have an entire team dedicated to using advanced digital marketing tactics (such as paid advertising). The Udemy Marketing Boost program is the Udemy Marketing Program that promotes Courses through Affiliates and Third Party Platforms Deal Partners such as Facebook. There is no upfront cost to this program.
- b) When Udemy, at its option, purchases and places advertisements for Your Course on Third Party Platforms, and tracks the resulting sales through appropriate means (including, but not limited to, tracking pixels, cookies and the like) ("Paid Advertising"), there will be fees associated with such Paid Advertising activities.
- c) Revenue Share: By participating in the Udemy Marketing Boost program, You agree that Udemy: (i) may employ External Partners and undertake Paid Advertising to promote Your Courses; (ii) not all programs are available in all geographic territories; and (iii) may deduct External Partner fees or Paid Advertising fees before calculating the Net Amount. You acknowledge that in connection with the Udemy Marketing Boost program, Your revenue share may vary, but will be 25% of Net Amount in most cases.
3. Udemy For Business Content Subscription: An Opportunity to Join a Select Group of Courses Offered to Udemy's Corporate Customers.
- a) Should You decide to opt in to this program, Udemy may invite You to join Our Content Subscription program, also known as Udemy For Business. In Our Udemy for Business offering, select Courses are offered in a bundled monthly subscription to Udemy's corporate or enterprise customers ("Enterprise Customers"). Although not all of Your Course(s) may be included in the Content Subscription program, the Content Subscription program is a terrific way to be a part of Udemy's growing business-to-business offering and generate incremental Course revenue.
- b) By participating in the Content Subscription program, You agree to make all of Your Course(s) eligible for inclusion in the Content Subscription program offerings. Udemy may elect which of Your Courses to include in the specific Content Subscription program for an Enterprise Customer, and may change the selection of Courses in each Content Subscription program from time to time, in its sole discretion, in response to the needs and requests of Enterprise Customers. The Sale Price for Courses included in the Content Subscription program are at Udemy's discretion.
- c) You understand and agree that by participating in the Content Subscription program, You may not unpublish or make Your Courses private during the term of Your participation.
- d) Termination. You may elect to terminate Your participation in the Content Subscription program at any time. Udemy will cease to offer Your Course(s) as a part of the Content Subscription program within six (6) months of termination. Thereafter, Your Course(s) will no longer be offered to new Enterprise Customers as part of the Content Subscription program, but any Enterprise Customer which purchased a Content Subscription program while Your Course(s) were included and whose employees enrolled in Your Course(s) will continue to be able to access and enroll in those Course(s) for as long as they remain a paying Enterprise Customer.
- e) Revenue. You will earn fees for consumption of Your Course(s) offered through the Content Subscription program. These fees will be calculated as follows:
- Each month, Udemy will calculate the total monthly subscription fees paid by Enterprise Customers currently subscribed to Our Content Subscription program (“Enterprise Revenue”).
- Fifty percent (50%) of this Enterprise Revenue will be allocated to Instructors participating in the Content Subscription program ("Total Instructor Payment Pool"), pro-rata, as further described below.
- Each month, Udemy will calculate the aggregate minutes consumed by all Students subscribed to the Content Subscription program ("Total Subscription Minutes Consumed").
- Each month, Udemy will also calculate how many minutes out of the Total Subscription Minutes Consumed are attributable to each of Your individual Course(s) participating in the Content Subscription program ("Total Individual Course Minutes").
- Your revenue share each month will be calculated as follows: Total Instructor Payment Pool multiplied by (Total Individual Course Minutes divided by Total Subscription Minutes Consumed) = Your revenue share
Instructor Created Coupons
As an Instructor, You may be able to increase Your sales by promoting Your Course(s) by using a coupon code (“Coupon Code”) that You have created on Udemy in accordance with the instructions found at:https://support.udemy.
You will receive ninety-seven percent (97%) of the Net Amount (as defined in the Instructor Terms) from those Student who input Your Coupon Code at the time they enroll in Your Course, except in the territory of Japan where You will receive ninety-six percent (96%) of the Net Amount.
By using Coupon Codes, You may offer Your Course(s) at any percentage discount, provided Your Course Sale Price does not fall below $10 USD. Alternatively, You may also offer Your Course(s) for free, i.e. at a full 100% off of the Base Price. Note that the actual discount may be slightly higher due to rounding and currency conversion. Notwithstanding the foregoing, You may issue Coupon Codes that allow Users to take Your Course for free.
As an Instructor, You should be aware that the currency Your Students see on the Services may be different than the currency at which You listed Your Course. Your coupon will still work and it will give a proportional discount in any of the Udemy supported currencies.
When the country of the Student requires Us to charge tax, Course prices set by Instructors are inclusive of tax in the transaction. When an Instructor sees this transaction in the revenue report, the revenue share is calculated from the price the Student paid minus tax.
This policy may be updated from time to time. Check back here and the Teach Hub to stay current with Udemy product releases.