Udemy provides a variety of ways for instructors and students to communicate with each other. These tools also help instructors engage with students and answer questions about the course.
These tools are meant to increase student engagement with the course content. They are not meant to be used to market or sell to the Udemy community. We provide separate marketing tools that instructors can use for this purpose.
When our instructors misuse communication tools, it causes students to unsubscribe and disengage from the platform, which hurts the entire community.
What are Communication Tools?
- Announcements: These are used exclusively by instructors to provide educational content that supplements the course material. While instructors can include links to free, relevant educational content, it should not be used for any kind of marketing or promotions.
- Direct Messaging: Students and instructors can use this tool to ask and answer questions about the course content. It is meant for 1:1 learning and for getting dedicated feedback about the course, not to promote or market to students.
- Get detailed guidelines on what instructors can and cannot do with Direct Messaging here.
- Q&A: This tool serves as a forum where students can engage each other and the instructor in conversations about the course content. In addition, instructors can reinforce material that has been covered within the course. It is again, not to be used to promote or market to students.
- Learn how to use the instructor Q&A dashboard here.
Learn what happens when there is a violation of our policies here.