Direct Messaging is a tool that students use to ask the instructor any questions about the course content. This is a tool that students and instructors can use to ask and answer questions about the course content, and for instructors to use to get dedicated feedback on the course. This is meant for 1:1 learning and feedback, not to promote or market to students.
Instructors – Detailed Guidelines
- DO answer questions politely and in a timely manner.
- DON’T send rude, aggressive, or threatening messages to your students.
- DON’T use Direct Messaging for mass-messaging students about promotions; the use of coupons, course referral links, external links, marketing messages or references to the same are prohibited. We understand that students can reach out with questions or requests, and it is important for instructors to be responsive. When students reach out with specific questions, you can feel free to answer them and direct them to appropriate resources. However, this is where we will take context into account.
- For example, if an instructor is encouraging students within the course to send them Direct Messages asking for coupons, then it is considered a violation of our policies when an instructor provides the coupon code through Direct Messaging.
- On the other hand, if a student reaches out with a question about additional material, it is not a violation if the instructor sends a link to their website where there is more information.
- DON’T ask for or post personal information about students.
Students – Detailed Guidelines
- DO ask instructors questions politely, if you’d prefer not to participate in public course discussions.
- DON’T send rude, aggressive, or threatening messages to instructors.
- DON’T use Direct Messaging to spam or request free coupons or other material unrelated to the course.
When an instructor is clearly going against the spirit of Udemy policies in an attempt to game the system or if we see a severe negative impact on the student experience (high unsubscribe rates or refund rates) it will be considered a violation of our policies.