This Pricing and Promotions Policy includes all of the information on Our pricing, optional marketing programs, and promotions commencing August 22, 2016, governing all Instructors who have created an instructor account from an IP address in Japan.
We will provide you notice via email or a notification on the Udemy website prior to any material changes to this Pricing and Promotions Policy taking effect. If you have any questions on this policy, please email our Support team using the form below.
Any version of this Pricing and Promotions Policy in a language other than English is provided for convenience and you understand and agree that the English language, including territory specific provisions, will control if there is any conflict.
Selecting a Base Price
As an Instructor, You may select a Tier governing the Base Price for your Course from the Udemy price tier matrix (summary of which is provided below). You can do so by going to the “Price Edit” screen in Your Instructor Account. Thereafter, Students will see the price selected, unless otherwise adjusted pursuant to the terms of this Pricing and Promotions Policy. This price tier matrix will be updated periodically according to market conditions or as exchange rates change. Notwithstanding, in connection with promotional programs, certain Courses may be priced at higher prices at Udemy’s discretion.
As set forth in the price tier matrix, Udemy currently offers Students the ability to buy Courses in twelve currencies: American Dollar (USD), British Pound (GBP), Euro (EUR), Japanese Yen (JPY), Singaporean Dollar (SGD), Mexican Peso (MXN), Brazilian Real (BRL), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Australian Dollar (AUD), Israel Shekel (ILS), Thailand Baht (THB), and the Taiwan New Dollar (TWD).
Prices on Mobile
Notwithstanding the above, the Udemy mobile application supports more than 50 currencies. You can see the currency and how much a Student bought a Course for under the “price paid” column on Your Instructor revenue report.
Revenue Share and Taxes
As set forth in Section 9 of the Instructor Terms, If You do not opt into the Udemy Marketing Programs, We will pay You thirty three percent (33%) of the Net Amount received for Your Course less any applicable deductions such as Student refunds (“Standard Revenue Share”). Should you decide to opt-in to any of our Marketing Programs, the relevant revenue share may be different, as defined for each program.
Udemy makes all payments to Instructors in USD regardless of the currency in which the Student transacts. Udemy will assume all transaction processing fees, excluding foreign currency conversion.
When the country from which the Student purchases the Course requires Udemy to remit Value Added Tax (VAT), We will deduct the tax amount from the Course Sale Price when calculating the Net Amount. The Net Amount will be split between Udemy and Instructors under the applicable revenue share model.
Countries requiring VAT currently include all European Union (EU) countries, UK, Japan and South Korea.
When applicable, Udemy charges and pays European Union taxes for website purchases. In the case of mobile in-app purchases, European Union tax is charged and paid by Apple and Google respectively.
Your revenue report will display the local Sales Price (in localized currency) and the applied exchange rates:
You can view additional information by clicking on an individual transaction.
Udemy’s Marketing Programs for Paid Courses
Udemy gives Instructors an opportunity to opt into the following currently available Marketing Programs via Your Instructor Account. To participate in any of these programs or adjust your preferences, log in to your Udemy Account and click this link: https://www.udemy.com/user/edit-promotional-agreements/ , then scroll down to the relevant program check each box to opt in, and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click save to apply your settings. The specific deals may change from time to time to optimize Your revenue, but the most current deals are below:
1. Udemy Deals Program: Targeted to Drive Sales of Your Course(s).
- a) Millions of Students enroll in Courses every year through the Udemy Deals program. Both of the promotional channels that make up the Udemy Deals program are powerful levers to help You maximize Your revenue potential on Udemy. The Udemy Deals program utilizes highly segmented discounting via email and other channels designed to optimize sales of Your Course. You may choose to participate in either or both of the following programs, “Percentage Promotions” and/or “Fixed-Price Promotions”:
- The “Percentage Promotions” program allows Udemy to offer your Course for a discount of up to and including 75% off the Base Price; and
- The “Fixed-Price Promotions” program allows Udemy to offer your Course for a fixed price that is less than the Base Price, but no less than approximately $10 USD (e.g., $10, $19 or $29 deals). Please note, the Sale Price under Fixed-Price Promotions may represent a discount exceeding 75% depending on the applicable Base Price.
- b) Udemy Deals program offers may be promoted via the Services, communications to Users, or Third Party Platforms. You understand and agree that the actual duration may vary for any specific Udemy Deal program.
- c) Revenue Share: By participating in the Udemy Deals Program, You acknowledge that (i) Your revenue share will vary, but may be up to 33% of Net Amount in most territories (ii) not all programs are available in all geographic territories.
2. Udemy Marketing Boost Program: A Multi-Channel Marketing Program to Drive Sales of Your Course.
- a) Udemy has a network of tens of thousands of partner sites ("Affiliates") and established relationships with third-party deal sites ("Deal Partners," and with Affiliates, "External Partners"). We also have an entire team dedicated to using advanced digital marketing tactics (such as paid advertising). The Udemy Marketing Boost Program is the Udemy Marketing Program that promotes Courses through Affiliates and Third Party Platforms Deal Partners such as Facebook. There is no upfront cost to this program.
- b) When Udemy, at its option, purchases and places advertisements for Your Course on Third Party Platforms, and tracks the resulting sales through appropriate means (including, but not limited to, tracking pixels, cookies and the like) ("Paid Advertising"), there will be fees associated with such Paid Advertising activities.
- c) Revenue Share: By participating in the Udemy Marketing Boost Program, You agree that Udemy: (i) may employ External Partners and undertake Paid Advertising to promote Your Courses; (ii) not all programs are available in all geographic territories and (ii) may deduct External Partner fees or Paid Advertising fees before calculating the Net Amount. You acknowledge that in connection with the Udemy Marketing Boost Program, Your revenue share may vary, but will be 25% of Net Amount in most cases.
Instructor Created Coupons
As an Instructor, You may be able to increase Your sales by promoting Your Course(s) by using a coupon code (“Coupon Code”) that You have created on Udemy in accordance with the instructions found at:https://support.udemy.
You will receive ninety six percent (96%) of the Net Amount (as defined in the Instructor Terms) from those Student who input Your Coupon Code at the time they enroll in Your Course.
By using Coupon Codes, You may offer Your Course(s) at any percentage discount, provided Your Course Sale Price does not fall below $10 USD. Alternatively, You may also offer Your Course(s) for free, i.e. at a full 100% off of the Base Price. Note that the actual discount may be slightly higher due to rounding and currency conversion. Notwithstanding the foregoing, You may issue Coupon Codes that allow Users to take Your Course for free.
As an Instructor, you should be aware that the currency Your Students see on the website may be different than the currency at which You listed Your Course. Your coupon will still work and it will give a proportional discount in any of the Udemy supported currencies.
When the country of the Student requires Us to charge tax, Students view Course prices inclusive of tax. When an Instructor sees this transaction in the revenue report, the revenue share is calculated from the price the Student paid minus tax.
This policy may be updated from time to time, including to reflect the release of new currencies. Check back here and the Teach Hub to stay current with Udemy product releases.
*Instructors who change residency may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.