If you plan on being disconnected from the internet, you can save individual lectures, sections, or an entire course for offline viewing on the iOS mobile app. Due to piracy concerns, you can only access a Udemy course within the app, since the video content is encrypted.
When you're in an offline environment, an orange phone icon will appear on courses that have lectures downloaded to your device.
- Due to piracy concerns, you can only access a Udemy course within the app, since the video content is encrypted.
- Due to certain platform security measures, some course content that has been downloaded for offline viewing on the mobile app will expire after 30 days. To regain access to the downloaded content, simply connect your mobile device to the internet.
- Practice activities like quizzes and practice tests, etc. cannot be downloaded and completed offline.
Save a Lecture for Offline Viewing
You can save lectures for offline viewing on your iOS device by following the steps below:
1. Tap on the grey download icon on the right hand side of the lecture title.
2. Once the lecture has finished downloading the download icon will turn color. After the lecture has been downloaded, you can watch it an offline setting by tapping the lecture title.
If you tap and hold on the download icon then the lecture options will appear. Select Save for Offline to download the lecture for offline viewing.
If you wish to remove the downloaded lecture, tap on the arrow icon and then select Remove Download.
Save a Section for Offline Viewing
You can also select all the lectures in a particular section for download at once, by tapping the download icon, beside the section title. After you tap on the icon, you will be asked to confirm you wish to download that section.
Save an Entire Course for Offline Viewing
If you would like to save an entire course for offline viewing, please follow these steps:
1. Tap on the grey download icon, which appears near the top of the right hand side of the course curriculum.
2. Next, tap on Download Course at the bottom of the screen.
Once the lectures have been downloaded successfully for offline viewing, the grey download icons will turn color.
Steps on how to fix some of the more common issues related to downloading courses on the Udemy mobile app can be read here.
Mobile Data Usage
To avoid unexpected data usage, we recommend downloading lectures to your device when it is connected to Wifi:
On iOS app, please go to Account > Download options > and toggle on the Download over Wi-Fi only option
If you play downloaded lectures while your mobile data still is still turned on, the Udemy app will not use mobile data to load the video content. Some mobile data, however, may be used to load certain features in the background (About this course information, QA questions, etc) or initiate some server calls to update the course progress. As such, if you do not want to use any mobile data for the app, be sure to turn off the internet connection completely, or turn off mobile data usage for the Udemy app from the device’s system settings.
For steps on how to delete saved content from your iOS device, please refer to this article.