If you're receiving an error message on the Udemy checkout page and are unable to complete your purchase, this article explains how you can resolve payment failures.
- Encountering issues with one of our payment methods? Learn more about other payment methods you can try.
- Can’t find your course after successfully paying for it? Please review these instructions on how to find your missing course.
How to troubleshoot payment failures
If you’re having trouble completing a purchase on Udemy, please:
1. Double check that you’re entering the correct details for your payment method and that your card is up-to-date (additional tips on how to do this are available below).
2. If you’re still receiving an error message that the payment could not be completed, please contact your bank.
- Some of the most common reasons banks decline payments include insufficient funds, card purchase limitations, and card security policies. For example, some cards have usage limitations, and will automatically block payment attempts after a certain threshold has been reached.
Please note that Udemy is not able to remove any restrictions that your card’s issuing bank has enabled.
Important note regarding VPN use
If you're using a VPN while attempting to make a purchase, please note that multiple IP addresses can result in authorization problems and failed transactions. We advise that you refrain from using a virtual private network (VPN) while making a purchase on Udemy.
Temporary authorization holds and pending purchases
After attempting to make a purchase on Udemy, you may notice a temporary authorization hold in your banking information or a pending purchase listed in your purchase history.
- Learn more about temporary authorization holds and pending purchases, and when they should be removed.
Purchasing on Udemy in India With UPI, Wallets & PayTM?
Review what you should do if you encounter issues while using UPI, Wallets and PayTM.
Tips for checking your payment method’s information
Be sure to enter the first and last name of the card account holder, exactly as it appears on the card, and that you enter it in the Name on card field. For example, if the card account holder’s name reads John R. Doe, then John R. Doe must be entered, as shown below.
Make sure that the correct CVC code is being entered, as listed on the back of the card, and that the expiry date for the card is still valid. If you’re encountering issues while trying to purchase with a saved payment method, try deleting it and re-adding it to ensure the details are correct and up to date.
If your payment failure states it is due to a zip code or postal code error, please contact your bank to ensure they have the right one on file. If zip codes aren't applicable in your country, however, and you still see a zip code field, please try entering all zeros (00000).
Do not use a Rocketmail email address for your account. Payment attempts from Udemy accounts with Rocketmail addresses will not be accepted by our system. Please try changing your email address to a non-Rocketmail domain.
Clear your browser’s cache: if you’re seeing a notification your card number looks invalid or icons aren’t showing up, there may be a caching issue. Please clear your browser’s cache and try again.
Questions about the price of a course?
Learn more about how courses are priced.