Instructors can use presentations from PowerPoint or Keynote to create video lectures for their courses, provided they include audio narration and are converted into a video file format (.MP4, .WMV, or .MOV files).
This article outlines how you can convert presentations from Powerpoint and Keynote into video lectures for your course.
Converting a PowerPoint presentation into a video lecture
If you have created a presentation in PowerPoint, and want to turn it into a video with narration, you can do this without any additional software. This feature is available in PowerPoint 2010 and later.
How to record a narration
You can add audio to your Powerpoint slides by following the steps below:
- Under the Slideshow tab, choose Record Slideshow.
- This will launch the presentation, and it will record your narration through whatever is set as the default microphone on your computer (be sure to test that audio is being picked up by external mics).
- Go through your presentation normally and it will record the entire session as you do. Be aware that under the same Record Slideshow dropdown, you can record over individual slides if you make a mistake.
For additional information on recording a narration using PowerPoint, please click here.
Saving the presentation as a video
Once you have recorded your narration, you can convert your PowerPoint presentation into a video by using the Create Video settings. Be sure to save your file as both a PowerPoint file and a video file, so you can go back and edit the PowerPoint later if you need to.
For additional information on how to convert a PowerPoint presentation into a video with various versions of the software, please click here.
Converting a Keynote presentation into a video lecture
You can also use Keynote to create presentations with audio, which in turn, can be exported as a video lecture for your course.
Adding audio to your Keynote presentation
You can audio to your Keynote presentation by following the steps below:
- Click on the square icon in the toolbar, and then click the Audio tab at the top of the sidebar on the right.
- Click Record in the sidebar, and then click on the red circle icon to begin. Be sure to speak clearly into the microphone.
- To advance to the next slide, click the slide in the recording window, or press the right arrow key
- To stop recording, click the red circle icon
- Press Esc (Escape) to save the recording and exit the presentation
For more information on how to add audio to a Keynote presentation, please refer to this link.
Exporting a Keynote presentation as a video
Once you have added audio to your Keynote presentation, you can convert it into a video lecture for your course, by clicking on File, Export, and then Quicktime.
For more information on how to export your Keynote presentation into a video file, please click here.