This article includes a checklist of the minimum requirements a course must have in order for it to be published on the Udemy platform. In addition, it also includes guidelines and resources instructors can use to improve the quality of their courses, and enhance the learning experience of students!
The minimum course requirements checklist
Below is a checklist of the minimum standards a course must have in order for it to be published on the Udemy platform.
- At least 30 minutes of video content
- At least 5 separate lectures
- Valuable educational content (learn more)
- HD video quality (720p or 1080p)
- Note: Videos exceeding an aspect ratio of 16:9 will automatically be re-modified to 16:9 by our system. If the resulting quality of the video is poor, the video may be rejected by our Quality Review Team.
- Audio that comes out of both channels and is synced to video
- Audio quality that is not distracting to students
- A unique course landing page
- A course image in line with Udemy image standards
- A course title and subtitle that includes relevant keywords
- A course description with more than 200 words
- A completed intended learners section
- A complete instructor bio and profile picture
Please note: free courses published on or after March 17, 2020 must have less than 2 hours of video content. Learn more about the changes to free courses.
Best practices for course creation: best practices make good courses, great. You can learn more about the best practices that have worked for thousands of Udemy instructors to create compelling, high quality courses in our Teaching Center.
Test video service: we highly recommend you take advantage of our test video service to get personalized assistance and feedback on audio and video quality early into the course creation process. This will help you feel confident about your recording setup before you record your course.
Trust & Safety guidelines: as you create your course, we also ask that you take time to review our Trust and Safety Policy Guidelines and make sure the course meets these and can be published.
The Quality Review process: after you complete your course and it’s submitted for review, our review team will provide you with feedback to help you get your course ready for students to enjoy. Learn more about the Quality Review process.
The Instructor Community: our global instructor community is another great place to find help and ideas regarding the course creation process.