What are Practice Activities? Why are They Important?
Practice activities like quizzes, projects and exercises are activities that help students practice a concept they’ve learned. By helping students build on concepts they’ve learned in your video lectures, and applying them to real world applications, you help students engage more with your course.
What you Need to Know
- In each section of your course, include one learning activity (quiz, exercise, or project) to help students apply what they've learned in that section.
- Provide all needed resources for each activity, such as worksheets, source code, practice files, etc.
- Describe how the activity is relevant.
- Connect the activity to your course goals.
Remember, we do check for this as part of our Policy Review Process.
In this article we will cover:
- Best practices
- How to add practice activities to your Udemy course
- Include one practice activity per section. In each section of your course, include one practice activity (quiz, exercise, or project) that helps a student apply the knowledge covered in that section. This may include:
- Highlighting key takeaways at the end of each section, using a slide or “cheat sheet”;
- Providing practice exercises for students to apply what they’ve learned, such as challenge questions, tasks or projects; and/or
- Challenging students with a quiz to assess their progress.
- Provide all needed resources for each practice activity. One of the biggest complaints students have is when they don’t have the right resources for completing a project or exercise. Avoid this by providing all needed resources for students to easily start and complete each exercise.
- Describe how the practice activity is relevant. Students need to know why they should take a quiz or complete an exercise. Describe how each activity is related to the content and what students should learn from completing it.
- Connect the practice activity to course goals. Students want to know that an activity is going to help them achieve their goals. Describe how each activity they complete will get them closer to their overall course goals.