Udemy offers marketing tools so that instructors can market only their Udemy courses to their students. Other than the Bonus Lecture, there is no space where you can market other related products to students.
The marketing tools Udemy offers are:
- Course Landing Page to communicate the value of the course
- Coupons to promote the instructor’s other Udemy courses to students outside of the platform
- Promotional Emails: to market the instructor’s other Udemy courses to their students
- Bonus Lecture to market other courses and related products to students
These tools are meant to help the instructor engage their audience outside of Udemy with their Udemy courses. They also help the students of one course discover other great Udemy courses by the same instructor. They are not meant for instructors to market courses not created by them, or any other products to Udemy students.
Remember, when instructors do this, the whole community loses out on having a common pool of engaged students who want to learn. Students are either driven off the platform, or they unsubscribe and disengage from the platform because they feel like they’re being sold to.
What are Marketing Tools?
- Promotional Emails: These are used to let students of one course know about other Udemy courses by the same instructor. They’re meant for you to send to your students, and may only include information about your courses. Please don’t take the marketing of other courses by other instructors into your hands, because this will hurt your relationship with students who will mark you (and us!) as spam.
- Coupons: These allow instructors to promote their Udemy courses to students on and off the platform. Coupons are allowed only in promotional emails and the bonus lecture. They cannot be used anywhere else on the Udemy platform, because once students enter a course, they expect a safe learning environment where they will not be sold to.
- Course Landing Page: The landing page includes the title and subtitle, course summary, instructor bio and course goals. Instructors use this space to help potential students decide whether the course is right for them. Don’t engage in marketing other courses or products to students or provide misleading marketing messages.
- Bonus Lecture: The last lecture of the course, after the concluding lecture, is called the Bonus Lecture. Instructors can add a Bonus Lecture to market other Udemy courses and products to students, and to inform students of material that is provided beyond the course. Get detailed guidelines on what instructors can and cannot do with Bonus Lectures here.
Learn what happens when there is a violation of our policies here.