A clear and compelling subject line for your promotional emails can draw the attention of your students, and prompt them to open and read your messages. On the other hand, if a subject line sounds too "salesy" and cliche, it can turn students away and they are likely to unsubscribe from your promotional emails.
Here are some best practices to help you get the attention of your students.
- Keep subject lines short and concise
- Data shows that students often ignore emails with long subject lines.
- Avoid subject lines with exclamation marks, phrases in all capital letters, or very splashy and spammy language
- Subject lines with exclamation marks and in all capital letters often perform poorly with students. Students may unsubscribe from emails, which will prevent them from receiving your future notifications.
- Give your students a compelling reason to open the email but avoid overused words like ‘free’, ‘sale’, ‘% off’
- Overused words like free can often trigger spam filters and make your promotional emails sound cliche, so when crafting subject lines, consider creating an occasion around your promotion. The occasion could be the time of year, a birthday, a personal achievement, etc. For example, you could offer a special promotion on your course during the week of your birthday. The subject line to the promotional email could be “Celebrate with me this week”.
- Consider framing subject lines as questions
- For example, you want to send a promotional email about your new course on the common mistakes beginner entrepreneurs often make. The subject line framed as a question could be “Why do the majority of all entrepreneurs fail?”.
- Test different subject lines
- Testing will help you determine which subject lines resonate most with your students. If you keep using the same subject line, students can quickly lose interest and are likely to not open your messages.
Check out some examples of subject lines below:
|√ Recommended||X Not Recommended|
|√ Announcing new courses||X Buy my new course for the lowest price ever|
|√ My new course, Pastries for Beginners, is open||X Don't miss these amazing discounts|
|√ Impress your friends with this new skill||X Super sale: 50 courses for $1 each!!!|
|√ New content: 3 things to remember about gardening||X Claim $500 in Udemy Promos NOW!|
|√ What are students saying about this course?||X Very Important 2017 Announcement|