NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW OR REGULATION.
BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, YOU AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH FORM A CONTRACT. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAWS, THIS CONTRACT INCLUDES INDEMNITY OBLIGATIONS ON YOUR PART AND A LIMITATION OF YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES.
ELIGIBILITY: Journey to Black Friday (the “Contest”) is organized by Udemy, Inc., 600 Harrison Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 USA (“Sponsor”) and is only open to entrants who are eighteen (18) years of age or older, or at least the legal age of majority in the country in which they reside at the time of entry, whichever is older (“Entrant”). To be eligible to enter, entrants must also:
- (a) be registered as a Udemy premium instructor by October 22, 2018 with an account in good standing;
- (b) be an instructor or co-instructor on at least one published course as of the start of the Contest; and
- (c) opt into Udemy marketing emails. Please note that while you may opt-out at any time after receiving your first email from Udemy, to qualify for the Contest you must remain opted in for the duration of the Contest. You may opt out any time after October 29, 2018.
The Contest is not open to residents of the province of Québec, Canada nor to residents of Brazil, Norway, Sweden, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, the Crimea Region, or any other U.S. sanctioned country and is void where prohibited by law. Persons in any of the following categories are NOT eligible to win a prize: (a) directors, members, partners, marketing affiliates, employees, consultants or agents of Sponsor and its respective affiliates, and its respective companies, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, (b) suppliers of goods or services in connection with the Contest, including individuals engaged in the development, production or distribution of materials for the Contest; and (c) persons who (i) are in the immediate family of any person in any of the preceding categories (including mother, father, sister, brother, daughter, son, spouse, grandmother, grandfather, children or grandchildren), regardless of where they live, or (ii) reside in the same household, whether related or not, as any person in any of the preceding categories. All eligibility is subject to all national, provincial, municipal, territorial, federal, state and local laws and regulations. By participating in the Contest, you unconditionally accept and agree to comply with and abide by these Official Rules (“Official Rules”) and the decisions of Sponsor, whose decisions shall be final and legally binding in all respects.
ENTRY PERIOD: The Contest begins on September 5, 2018 at 12:01:00am Pacific Daylight Time ("PDT") and ends on October 28, 2018 at 11:59:59pm PDT (the "Entry Period"). Winners will be selected from entries properly submitted and timely received during the Contest Period.
HOW TO ENTER: In order to qualify for entry, you must:
- (1) register for the Contest via the landing page available at https://www.udemy.com/teaching/challenge/ by October 22, 2018 at 11:59pm PDT;
- (2) submit a previously-unpublished course (“Course”) for review between September 5, 2018 at 12:01am PDT and October 22, 2018 at 11:59pm PDT;
- (3) after Course publication, draft a one-paragraph essay (“Essay”) explaining the following: (a) why you teach what you teach; (b) what sets your Course apart from the rest; and (c) the impact your Course will have on students; and submit your Essay via the landing page at https://udemysurveys.typeform.com/to/Ou6I8L? by October 28, 2018 at 11:59pm PDT.
In order for a Course that you submit to be eligible for inclusion as part of your entry, you must be the owner of the Course, and your Course must:
- meet Udemy’s quality review standards available at https://s3.amazonaws.com/udemy-images/support/Course+Quality+Checklist+EN.pdf;
- pass the review process and be successfully published on the Udemy marketplace by October 28, 2018 at 11:59pm PDT;
- be a listed as a public, paid Course for the duration of the period between October 22, 2018 at 11:59pm PDT and October 29, 2018 at 11:59 pm PDT that the course is published; and
- once published, remain published for the duration of the period between October 22, 2018 at 12:01am PDT and November 30, 2018 at 11:59pm PDT.
Limit one entry per Udemy instructor. Entrants will receive a confirmation email upon successful registration via the landing page. All entries submitted are the property of Sponsor. Entry in the Contest does not constitute entry into any other promotion, contest, or sweepstakes. By participating in the Contest, each Entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these rules, the Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, whose decisions shall be final and legally binding in all respects and not subject to further review in any forum. Entries in excess of any stated limitation, and entries generated by script, macro or other automated means, or any means that subverts the entry process, will be void. Any attempted form of entry other than as described herein is void. Sponsor will determine, in its sole discretion, what constitutes a valid entry, and reserves the right to reject any submissions that it deems, in its sole discretion, to violate any of Sponsor’s policies, standards, or practices. All materials and entries submitted become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned or acknowledged. If the Course is removed from udemy.com for any reason from 12:01 am Pacific Time on October 22, 2018 to 11:59 pm Pacific Time on November 30, 2018, you will not qualify for a prize.
WINNER SELECTION: One (1) grand prize winner and three (3) runner-up winners will be determined by a panel of marketing experts employed by Sponsor or its affiliates based on the following criteria: (a) skill in creating Courses [quality and quantity published]; (b) skill in topic selection strategy; (c) within the submitted Essay, skill in articulating instructor passion and motivation for teaching their respective subject matter. Winners will be selected from valid entries received during the Contest Period. LIMIT: One (1) prize per person or household. Potential winners will be notified by e-mail using the contact information provided by the potential winner at the time of entry.
Winners will be selected on or about October 30, 2018. Sponsor shall have no liability for any notification that is lost, intercepted, or not received for any reason. Sponsor will issue only one (1) email notification that will include the winning confirmation notice and details about how to claim the prize.
Potential winner will be disqualified, and the prize will become null and void and remain unclaimed, if such potential winner:
- is found to be ineligible,
- has not complied with the Official Rules,
- for a Grand Prize winner, does not respond within forty-eight (48 hours of attempted notification,
- for a Runner-Up winner, does not respond within seven (7) days of attempted notification, or
- declines a prize for any reason.
PRIZE/ODDS OF WINNING PRIZE:
Only the prizes listed below will be awarded in the Contest.
- One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive the following:
- Three (3) hours of personal coaching and assistance from a video marketing expert, via phone or video conference (valued at $600 USD).
- Budget of $1,000 USD to be spent on creating and marketing one or more promotional video(s) for the winner’s course(s), including such expenses as filming equipment, film crews or services, video editing, editing software, set rentals, voiceover or other talent, music licensing, b-roll footage licensing, and purchases of video-based ad placements for resulting promotional video.
- Three (3) Runner-Up Prize winners will each receive one of the following personalized coaching sessions, selected at Sponsor’s discretion:
- Two (2) hours of personalized coaching with a paid ads marketing expert, via phone or video conference (valued at $300 USD).
- Two (2) hours of personalized coaching with a YouTube marketing and SEO expert, via phone or video conference (valued at $300 USD).
- Two hours of personalized coaching with a successful Udemy instructor, via phone or video conference (valued at $300 USD).
Total approximate retail value of all credit prizes: $2,500 USD. Overall odds of winning depend on number of entries received during the Entry Period. Prizes will be fulfilled between November 1, 2018 and March 1, 2019 via email. Any prizes whose delivery a winner has not scheduled by December 10, 2018 shall be deemed forfeited.
Grand Prize coaching session available in English or via translator in Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Japanese, or Turkish. As a prerequisite for receiving the Grand Prize, potential winner will be required to sign (a) a content license agreement for video content created using the production budget; (b) a publicity waiver (except where prohibited); and (c) a liability release; and to return each of the properly executed documents to Sponsor within seven (7) days of attempted notification. Sponsor may require Grand Prize winner to submit receipts to verify use of prize budget towards permissible video production and marketing expenses. Runner-Up Prize coaching sessions available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Japanese, or Turkish only. As a prerequisite for receiving a Runner-Up Prize, potential winners will be required to sign a publicity waiver (except where prohibited) and a liability release; and to return each of the properly executed documents to Sponsor within seven (7) days of attempted notification. A potential winner who satisfies all of the Contest requirements, including, without limitation, those set forth in this paragraph, will be designated an official winner.
Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen prize. Prizes are non-transferable, are non-refundable, and no substitutions will be made except as provided herein, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Non-cash prizes are not redeemable for cash. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a particular prize for one of comparable or greater value. Winners are responsible for any applicable local income taxes.
DISCLAIMER: Subject to applicable laws, Sponsor makes no warranties, and hereby disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, concerning any prize furnished in connection with the Contest. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAWS, PRIZES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND SPONSOR HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
WINNER PUBLICITY REQUIREMENTS: Acceptance of the prize shall constitute the winner’s agreement and consent for Sponsor and its designees to use winner’s name, likeness, photo, avatar, and/or prize information (including, without limitation, city, state, province, territory and country of residence) in connection with this Contest for promotional, advertising or other purposes, in any manner, worldwide, in any and all media, whether now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY; CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION:
- Transmission of Information. Sponsor and its officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, successors, and assigns (all collectively the "Released Parties") are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by you or not, printing, typographical or other errors, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to, malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error which may occur in (a) the administration of the Contest, (b) the uploading, processing, or selection of entries, (c) the announcement of the winners or potential winner, or (d) the prizes or any Contest-related materials; (5) late, lost, garbled, misdirected, inaccurate, incorrect, undeliverable, damaged or stolen entries or email; (6) costs associated with claiming or redeeming the prizes; and/or (7) losses or damages resulting from an Entrant’s connection to the Internet via any of the websites referenced herein. The Released Parties are not responsible for any (a) incorrect, mistranscribed, misdirected or undeliverable entries or e-mail transmissions, (b) incorrect announcements, (c) technical problems, including, without limitation, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, or any hardware/software, (d) lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission, or (e) a combination of any of the foregoing. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for (i) late, lost, incomplete, inaccurate or damaged entries, (ii) undeliverable e-mails resulting from any form of active or passive e-mail filtering by a user's Internet service provider and/or e-mail client, or (iii) insufficient space in user's e-mail account to receive e-mail. Sponsor shall not be responsible for any damage (whether material or non-material) caused to your computer equipment or to data which is stored on such equipment, or to your personal, professional or commercial activities. Proof of submitting entries will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
- Fraud; Reservation of Rights. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend, and/or modify this Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, or any other factors impair the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If terminated, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, determine winners from among all non-suspect, eligible entries received up to time of such action or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be (a) tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest, (b) acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion, or (c) acting in a dishonest, fraudulent, unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, and to void all associated entries. The preceding remedy in no way precludes Sponsor from taking legal or other actions against such individuals so as to protect its rights. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any provision of these Official Rules in a given circumstance does not constitute the waiver of such provision.
- Release and Indemnity. By participating, you hereby release the Released Parties, and agree to indemnify, defend, and hold the Released Parties, and the other persons and entities involved in the development, production, and/or administration of the Contest, harmless, from any and all liability for losses, harm, damage, injury, costs, fees, and expenses, including without limitation, property damage, personal injury (including emotional distress), and/or death, arising from participating in the Contest, any Contest-related activity, and/or acceptance, receipt, possession or use/misuse of any prize, and for any claims or causes of action based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery.
FORCE MAJEURE: If, for any reason, the Contest (or any part thereof) is not capable of running as planned by reason of computer virus, bug, system malfunction, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, fire, flood, earthquake, storm or other natural cataclysm, riot, strike, terrorist activity, civil commotion, governmental regulation, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which, in its sole opinion, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest (or any part thereof), Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest, or to thereafter conduct the Contest by selecting the prize winner(s) for affected Contest drawing from among all eligible entries received for such affected Contest drawing prior to the action taken by Sponsor or otherwise in a manner which is fair, equitable and in accordance with these Official Rules, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
DISPUTES: Except where prohibited by law, you agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) all claims must be resolved in the state or federal courts located in the State of California, USA; (c) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event including attorneys' fees; and (d) unless otherwise prohibited, under no circumstances will you be permitted to obtain awards for, and you hereby waive all rights to, any indirect, punitive, incidental, and consequential damages, or damages of any kind (other than actual out of pocket expenses), and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of you and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California, USA.
EU RESIDENTS NOTICE: Your personal data will be processed in the United States. Pursuant to EU law pertaining to data collection and processing, as an EU resident, you have a right of access to, modification and withdrawal of your personal data. You also have the right of opposition to the data collection, under certain circumstances. To exercise such right, you may write to: Udemy Legal Department, Udemy, Inc., 600 Harrison Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 USA. The data controller and the data recipient is Sponsor. For more information, please consult https://www.udemy.com/terms/privacy.
COUNTRY SPECIFIC NOTICES:
If any provision in these Official Rules is invalid under the applicable law, rules or regulations of a particular country, it will only apply to the extent permitted. In addition to the tax liability disclosures in these Official Rules, winners are subject to abide by the rules and regulations of their country of residence, including without limitation requirements around income reporting and, if applicable, the payment of any taxes due per the laws.
- For Germany: Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in these Official Rules, you and the Released Parties shall be fully liable for damages to life, body and health and for intent, gross negligence and fraudulent concealment of defects or breach of any guaranteed quality. In cases of slight negligence, you and the Released Parties are only liable for the breach of a material contractual obligation (cardinal obligations); a “cardinal obligation” is an obligation whose fulfillment makes the implementation of this contract possible in the first place and on the fulfillment of which the contractual partner may therefore generally rely. In these cases, liability is restricted to any loss or damage which was reasonably foreseeable at the time this contract came into effect. Any potential liability on the part of the Released Parties for any warranties and for claims based on the German Product Liability Act shall not be affected.
- For Mexico: By entering, entrants from Mexico hereby expressly agree and accept that this Contest is exclusively hosted in the United States, and for all that is related to the interpretation, performance and enforcement of these Official Rules, each of them expressly submit themselves to the laws of the United States of America and to the jurisdiction of the competent state and federal courts in the State of California, USA, expressly waiving to any other jurisdiction that could correspond to them by virtue of their present or future domicile or by virtue of any other cause.
- For the United Kingdom: Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in these Official Rules, no person’s or entity’s liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence shall be limited in any way, and nor shall their liability for fraud or for any other matter where liability may not as a matter of law be limited or excluded.
WINNERS LIST: For information about the winners, available after October 30, 2018, visit https://support.udemy.com/hc/articles/360006363214.