This article includes answers to frequently asked questions instructors have regarding Udemy’s Personal Plan subscription.
- Are you a learner who’s interested in our Personal Plan? Learn more about the Personal Plan subscription.
Table of contents
- What is Personal Plan?
- Why does Udemy offer an individual subscription?
- What is the revenue share for Personal Plan?
- Where can instructors see revenue they earn from Personal Plan enrollments?
- What happens if a learner purchases Personal Plan after discovering the subscription through an instructor coupon or referral link?
- What are the requirements to participate in Personal Plan as an instructor?
- How often is content added to or removed from Personal Plan?
What is Personal Plan?
Personal Plan is a broad subscription that provides enrolled learners access to thousands of top courses in hundreds of course topics, ranging from IT, web development, soft skills, business, marketing and design.
Here is some additional information about Personal Plan:
- Access: Eligible learners pay for monthly or annual access to the subscription, with unlimited viewing of content within it. For first-time subscribers, there may be an option to trial the collection for a limited time before subscribing.
Since Personal Plan is a subscription product, it does not offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, and no refunds or partial refunds are available unless required by applicable law.
- Audience: Currently, Personal Plan is only available to learners in specific markets. We will continue to update instructors in the Teaching Center and Community as we offer the Personal Plan to new audiences.
- Content: The Personal Plan subscription includes courses that are taught in English, and depending on a learner’s location, a localized, course collection may be available to them.
Why does Udemy offer an individual subscription ?
For committed learners with broad learning interests, a subscription may be a better solution than purchasing multiple individual courses. We see the subscription model as a complement to the existing Udemy model to meet the needs of some current learners and enable us to attract new ones.
What is the revenue share for Personal Plan?
Payouts for Personal Plan follow the Udemy Business model: 25% of monthly revenue is designated for instructors, and each individual instructor earns a proportion of this amount equal to the proportion of minutes consumed on their courses by paying subscribers. For purposes of this calculation, revenue and consumption for Personal Plan is distinct from revenue and consumption for Udemy Business and Udemy Pro. Minutes spent by learners during their free trial are excluded from the revenue calculation.
Where can instructors see revenue they earn from Personal Plan enrollments?
Revenue from Personal Plan will be attributed to the Individual Subscription channel in your instructor revenue report.
Learn more about instructor payments for Personal Plan and where you can view them.
What happens if a learner purchases Personal Plan after discovering the subscription through an instructor coupon or referral link?
If an instructor’s coupon or referral link leads to a new subscription sign-up and payment rather than a course purchase, that instructor will receive a bonus. In the current iteration of the program, the bonus is calculated as 50% of the net revenue from the payment for the new subscriber’s first month in Personal Plan. Instructors can see these amounts reflected in the Revenue Report with the label "Subscriber Signup Payment." Learn more.
What are the requirements to participate in Personal Plan as an instructor?
The terms of participation for Personal Plan are the same as they are for Udemy Business: instructors must be opted in to the Udemy Business program, they must have courses curated into the collection for their relevance and quality, and they must host included content exclusively on Udemy. Learn more about the terms of participation.
How often is content added or removed from Personal Plan?
Like the Udemy Business collection, the Personal Plan collection is refreshed over time to add promising new content and remove content that is underperforming or no longer meets quality standards. While the curation teams for both collections collaborate, there may be some differences between the collections at a given point in time. Generally speaking, content that is added or removed from the Udemy Business collection will eventually also be added to or removed from the Personal Plan collection.
This article outlines how instructors can resolve CSV upload errors they may encounter while using the bulk coupons tool.
- Learn how to access the bulk coupons tool and prepare your CSV file.
- Review the different types of coupons instructors can create and how to create coupons on the course Promotions page.
- Review our rules and guidelines for using course coupons and referral links.
Troubleshooting CSV upload errors for the bulk coupons tool
If there is an issue with the CSV file and it cannot be uploaded on the bulk coupons tool page, an error notification will appear.
The tables below include error messages you may encounter while attempting to upload the CSV file and the steps you can take to resolve them.
How to fix
Content of file could not be parsed. Try again and if issue repeats again please contact support.
Empty file / incorrect file / unexpected error
Try uploading a CSV file with the required inputs again.
Required column(s) course_id, coupon_type, coupon_code are missing
The file is missing required column(s)
Add the required columns
How to fix
Course ______: cannot exceed the number of coupons allowed for the month
- There have already been 3 coupons created for the calendar month for this course, which is the maximum amount allowed.
- Double-check your course information to confirm how many coupons you have remaining. If the maximum amount of coupons has been reached, you will not be able to create new coupons for the course until next month.
course_id is invalid in rows ___
- course_id is blank
- course_id is not an integer value
- the instructor account doesn’t have permission to create coupons for this course_id
- You may have copied and pasted info into cells and then deleted the cells. These cells will now contain blank fields.
- Check your course_id in your course information file. Only use valid course_id values that you have “manage” permissions for.
- Open your file in a text editor and see if there are rows that look like “,,,,,,,,,”. If there are, either delete them in the text editor, or open Excel and delete the entire row (by highlighting the rows on the left side and clicking Delete).
coupon_type is invalid in rows ___
- coupon_type is blank
- coupon_type is not one of the 4 allowed values: best_price, custom_price, free_open, free_targeted
- Ensure that coupon_type is filled out and that these are the only options used, entered exactly like this:
coupon_code is invalid in rows ___
- coupon_code is blank
- coupon_code was already used for the same course in the past
- coupon_code is used more than once for the same course_id in the CSV upload
- Coupon code is not in the correct format (review the requirements for custom coupon codes).
- Ensure that you have a coupon code in the correct format that is unique at the course level.
start_date is invalid in rows ___
- start_date is in the past
- start_date is beyond the current month
- start_date is not entered in YYYY-MM-DD format
- Ensure that your start date is in the current month and is on today’s date or later.
- Note: Excel can automatically change date formats. Enter your date with a leading apostrophe in the cell (e.g. ‘2022-03-20) or select the cells, right-click, click “Format Cells” and make sure “Text” is selected. Then fix the dates.
- Open the saved file with a text editor to check if the date formats are properly saved.
- Note: if the field is left blank, the tool will automatically use today’s date.
start_time is invalid in rows ___
- start_time is not entered in HH:MM (or H:MM) format
- Correct the start_time format to HH:MM or H:MM (e.g. 03:30, 3:30)
- Note: if the field is left blank, the tool will automatically use midnight (00:00). Or if the time is in the past, 00:00 will be entered.
custom_price is invalid in rows ___
- coupon_type = custom_price and no value was entered
- coupon_type = custom_price and custom_price is not entered as either a decimal value or as “min” or “max”
- custom_price is less than the allowed minimum
- custom_price is higher than the allowed maximum
- If you entered custom_price as the coupon_type, make sure you have a value. Check your course information to make sure your value is within the minimum and maximum range for that course.
After you have taken the applicable troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue with your CSV file, click Upload CSV to create coupons at the top of the page. If your upload is successful, you will see a notification banner indicating your coupons have been created.
In addition to creating coupons one at a time on the course Promotions page, instructors can use the bulk coupons tool to create and schedule multiple coupons within the current calendar month.
This article outlines how instructors can create multiple coupons for their courses using a CSV file and the bulk coupons tool. You can also watch this video tutorial our team produced (in English), which shows how to access and use the bulk coupons tool.
- Review the different types of coupons instructors can create and how to create coupons on the course Promotions page.
- Review our rules and guidelines for using course coupons and referral links.
Eligibility requirements for the bulk coupons tool
In order for the bulk coupons feature to be accessible in your instructor account, you must have the following:
- At least one paid course, published on Udemy.
- Manage permissions enabled for at least one, paid course published on Udemy.
How to access the bulk coupons tool
Instructors who meet the requirements above can access the bulk coupon option by doing the following:
- From your Course management page, click the Tools icon on the left-hand side.
- Next, click the Bulk coupon creation option.
Eligible instructors who are logged into their Udemy accounts can also navigate to the page via this link.
How to prepare your CSV file for the bulk coupons tool
To use the bulk coupons tool and create multiple coupons at once, you will need to prepare and upload a CSV file with the required inputs that are in the correct format.
1. After navigating to the bulk coupons tool page, click Download your course information to access the information you will need to help you prepare your CSV file.
- The information provided on the file includes the course ID, current best price value, minimum and maximum custom price values allowed, and the number of coupons remaining for the course for that month.
2. Next, click Download the CSV template to access a CSV template you can use to create your coupons.
- Important: the data contained in the template file is only an example, and is not your course information. You will need to leave the column headers, delete the example data, and then add your own coupon data.
- If you wish to add an additional column to the CSV, for example, to add your course names to the file, you can do so, provided the file still includes the required information and column headers. Additional columns can be added at the beginning, in between the required columns, or afterward.
- If you have active or scheduled coupons already created for your course(s), then you can access the applicable information and data by clicking Download active coupons at the top right.
3. After you’ve downloaded the template CSV file, you can use it to enter the values provided in your course information file to create the coupons and their applicable data.
4. Once you have your course information and a CSV template/file ready to use, proceed with entering the required data into the applicable columns.
- Important: Be sure to review and follow the input formats and rules that are included in the CSV uploads requirements section of the bulk coupons page.
- Learn more about the different types of coupons instructors can create.
5. After you have prepared your CSV file, click Upload CSV to create coupons at the top of the page. If your upload is successful, you will see a notification banner indicating your coupons have been created.
Troubleshooting upload errors
If there is an issue with the CSV file and it cannot be uploaded, an error notification will appear. Review how to resolve CSV file upload errors for the bulk coupons tool.
This article outlines what the Udemy Business content subscription program is and explains how instructors can make their courses eligible for inclusion.
What is Udemy Business?
Udemy Business is Udemy’s B2B (business to business) learning solution. The Udemy Business program empowers organizations to address their biggest workforce challenges, by engaging employees in skills training and development using Udemy courses. To read more about many of the companies that leverage Udemy Business for their learning needs, please click here.
Udemy Business offers a subscription package of thousands of Udemy courses, chosen for their quality and relevance to a business audience. Instructors included in Udemy Business benefit from unique brand visibility in front of a new business audience, and also gain an additional revenue stream.
For more information on Udemy Business, and how you can enroll in the program, please read below.
How can Instructors get Involved With Udemy Business?
Opt-In: Make sure you’re opted into the Udemy Business Content Subscription marketing program, so that your courses are eligible for inclusion. You can enroll in the program on your promotional agreements page.
Please note: as a means to highlight the uniquely valuable collection of courses on Udemy Business and to reach a wider business audience, any content that is available on Udemy Business must be hosted exclusively on Udemy while it’s in the Udemy Business content collection. This policy does not apply to any content you’ve made available on your own websites or to any separate offerings like in-person trainings, books, etc. You can mark a single course as in violation of the exclusivity terms and ineligible for inclusion in the Udemy Business content collection, by filling out the eligibility form found in your course settings.
More information is provided in the Promotions Policy.
How Does Udemy Business Decide Which Courses are Selected for the Program?
Udemy Business uses a number of criteria to determine which courses are add to the collection. First, instructors must be opted into the Udemy Business program in order for their courses to be considered. Next, Udemy Business sees a lot of value in using the power of the marketplace to assist with course selection. Accordingly, one of the primary ways the Udemy Business team chooses courses is based on student feedback, which is measured through recent course ratings. They then select the highest rated courses for the collection.
For more information on student reviews, and how to manage student feedback, please click here.
The Udemy Business team also considers factors such as the course content’s demand with Udemy Business customers, and their overall content strategy.
How Does the Revenue Share Work for the Udemy Business Program? And How is it Reported on Instructor Revenue Reports?
For detailed information on how instructors are paid for their inclusion in the Udemy Business Collection please click here.
Instructor revenue from the Udemy Business program is added to the revenue report differently than other purchases. Udemy Business revenue is added in the first week of the following month under the Udemy Business tab on your revenue report. For example, your Udemy Business revenue for the month of January, would appear in your January revenue report during the first week of February.
For sales inquiries, please complete this form.
Every year, millions of students enroll in courses discounted through the Udemy Deals Program, making it a powerful lever for instructors to help maximize their revenue potential on Udemy. This article outlines the Udemy Deals Program and how instructors can participate in the program or opt out.
What is the Udemy Deals program?
Instructors have the option to participate in the Udemy Deals Program. This allows Udemy to use marketing data to optimize your course's list price and offer your courses at a discount in different markets around the world.
Please note that a course’s inclusion in Udemy’s promotions, however, is not guaranteed. Courses are included in promotions based on a number of factors including course topic, enrollments, conversions, ratings, reviews and student behavior such as wishlisting, to name a few. So not all courses will be included in every Udemy promotion.
How courses' discount prices are determined during a promotion
Udemy uses data science and economic modelling to determine each course's promotional price range. Many factors such as a course's category, length, and competitive context are used to generate an initial discount price range. This range is then adjusted automatically in response to the course's sales performance at different price points and in different markets. The system takes into account both price and student conversion rates and seeks to maximize each course's revenue potential over time.
Local price floors
The Deals Program allows Udemy to offer your content to students at a discounted price or list price no lower than $9.99 USD (or local equivalent), except in Australia, Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico, South Africa, and Turkey and sales to Udemy’s resellers or distributors, where the price may be lower.
Where a sale to a Udemy reseller or distributor results in a sale price for your content that is lower than permitted by this Policy, Udemy will calculate your revenue share based on a Gross Amount permitted by this Policy.
Deals Program deals may be promoted through the Services, user communications, or third-party platforms, and the duration of the deals may vary.
How to opt in or out of the Udemy Deals Program
By default, instructors are opted into the Udemy Deals Program when they register as a premium instructor. Instructors can opt out of the program at any time (please see below).
To change your promotional agreements, and opt in or out of the Udemy Deals program please follow the steps below:
- Move your cursor to your profile picture in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Click on Payout settings from the dropdown menu.
- Under the payout options, click Manage Promotional Agreements.
- Scroll down to Udemy Deals Program and make a selection.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.
Opting out of the Udemy Deals Program as a published instructor
If you choose to opt out of the Udemy Deals Program after your course has been published, it may take up to 10 days for it to stop being offered at a discount on the Udemy site (for campaigns that started while you were opted in).
In addition to on-site promotions, please note that Udemy employs a variety of other marketing channels for instructors in the Deals Program (including emails, paid ads, affiliate marketing). It may take some time after your opt-out date before your courses are no longer promoted via these channels, but your courses will no longer be offered at a discount on the Udemy site 10 days after your opt-out date. This 10 day period helps ensure we honor discounts that have already been offered to students in active campaigns.
Your course will not be included in new discount campaigns that begin after the date you opted out. After the 10 day period, your courses will only be available at the list price you’ve selected (or when applicable, the price you’ve set in an instructor coupon you’ve created and promoted).
Please note that this will also affect your course's participation in external promotions such as search ads, social media placements, or retargeting.
Participation in Udemy Deals program is governed by the terms available here.
As a global marketplace, Udemy offers students the ability to buy courses in many different currencies. Accordingly, Udemy has created a global price tier matrix, which includes the minimum and maximum list prices supported on Udemy, and also outlines the price points in each currency Udemy supports.
This article explains the differences between the list and base prices for courses, as well as Udemy’s global price matrix.
List vs. base price
Instructors set a base price for each course, which is used as the course's list price for instructors who are not opted into the Udemy Deals Program. For instructors who opt in to the Udemy Deals Program, Udemy may generate and display a market-specific list price that is different from the base price (except in Japan).
Instructions on how instructors can set or change the base price of their courses are available in this article.
The global price matrix
When instructors set their course base price in a given currency, they’re setting the base price at a particular tier. The list price that students will see in other currencies is calculated using the price tier matrix, based on the tier that it corresponds with. A student’s account currency is based on the geographical information that's collected and entered when an account is created.
- The price points on the tier matrix are not calculated using only strict currency conversions. Since Udemy is a global marketplace, the prices are also based on market conditions in different countries and will be adjusted regularly.
- By default, students who do not have one of our supported currencies assigned to their Udemy account will see prices set in either EUR or USD. As noted above, the price tier is based on market conditions and may vary depending on their specific location.
- Please note: courses that you charge for on Udemy cannot be offered for free off of Udemy (e.g. YouTube, your own site, other sites).
Prices on the Udemy mobile app
The course price listed on the Udemy mobile apps may differ slightly from the course prices listed on the price tier matrix. The marketplaces for Udemy’s mobile applications are owned and managed by Apple (iOS app) and Google Play (Android app).
When a student purchases through the mobile app, the mobile platform provider's pricing matrix will set the price, and Udemy chooses the price tier closest to the applicable base price or promotional price. Because mobile platforms impose their own currency conversion rates, conversions for mobile app prices may not match the conversions in Udemy’s price tier matrix.
Minimum sales price after discount
Each geographical market has a minimum sales price after discount, which may be periodically updated. The table below displays the minimum sales price after discount for Udemy's major markets in their principal currency. All of the pricing tiers can be viewed in the price tier matrix.
Minimum Sales Price After Discount
European Union (EU)*
*EU countries with national currencies that Udemy supports are listed separately.
The currency displayed at point of purchase can differ from the currency listed in your revenue report
In some cases, the currency effectively charged at the point of purchase may be different from the market's principal currency. For example, a learner in Brazil may see prices displayed in BRL, but pay in USD, if they choose certain payment methods at checkout. In these cases, the instructor revenue report will display the amount paid in the currency used to make the purchase, rather than the currency that was displayed on the course landing page.
Creating coupons and referring students is an important part of any instructor's promotional strategy. When students use your coupon or referral link to enroll in your course, you will receive 97% of the net revenue.
This article explains course referral links and the different types of coupons instructors can create for their courses.
- Learn how to effectively leverage referral links and coupons to drive student enrollments.
- Review our rules and guidelines for using course coupons and referral links.
Course referral links
Every paid course you publish has a referral link, which you can use to share and promote the course. When a student clicks on the link and proceeds to purchase your course within 24 hours, you will be credited with the sale, regardless of where the student clicked on the link (e.g., an affiliate site).
Referral links have no influence on the price displayed to learners. If you have opted into Udemy Deals, learners may be offered a discount for your course when following your referral link. If you have not opted into Deals, however, learners will always see your list price when following a referral link.
You can access the course referral link by navigating to the course page, and then by clicking Promotions on the left-hand side.
In addition to referral links, you can create coupons to promote your courses. You can create up to three coupons per course each month.
Please note: When a coupon expires, it becomes a referral link. So, it will no longer affect the price displayed to the user. However, if the student purchases within 24 hours of clicking your expired coupon link, you will still be credited with the sale.
There are four types of coupons (see below).
Current best price
Creates a limited-time offer for the current best price of your course.
For instructors in Udemy’s Deals Program, this is based on the lowest price Udemy would offer a given student in that market for your course, at the time you create the coupon.
Example: If the lowest discounted price Udemy would offer student A is $14.99 at the time you create the coupon, applying this coupon would show the price as $14.99.
The price displayed in the coupon creation flow represents the coupon’s value in the main market for that currency; in other currencies and markets, it will be adjusted to match your course’s local best price.
5 days after activation
Creates a longer-lasting offer for a price you pick from the range displayed.
For instructors in Udemy’s Deals Program, the lower bound of this range will be similar to (but not necessarily lower than) the price Udemy would offer a given student at the time you create the coupon.
Example: If Udemy is generally selling your course between $14.99 and $19.99 during promotions, the lowest price you could set with a "Custom Price" coupon might be $16.99.
31 days after activation
Creates a limited-time offer that allows up to 1000 students to enroll in your course for free.
1000 redemptions or 5 days after activation, whichever comes first
Creates a longer-lasting offer that allows up to 100 students to enroll in your course for free.
100 redemptions or 31 days after activation, whichever comes first
For instructors who are opted into Udemy’s Deals Program, the displayed prices for a “Current best price” or “Custom price” coupon are based on Udemy’s pricing data for each course. You will not be able to create a coupon if the displayed price exceeds your course’s list price.
All coupon prices will be displayed to students in their local currency and adjusted per Udemy’s country-specific price tier matrix.
How to create a coupon
1. Navigate to the course Promotions page.
2. Click Create new coupon.
3. Select the coupon type.
4. If applicable, choose your coupon price.
5. Select a start date and time for the coupon.
- Please note: a start date and time cannot be selected beyond the current calendar month, or for a date and time that has already elapsed.
- The date, time, and calendar month are set in U.S. Pacific Time (PST). The default time selected is the current time when you started creating the coupon. You may update it to a time in the future, or leave it as is.
6. If you wish to enter a custom coupon code please be aware of the following: the coupon code must be between 6 - 20 characters, only UPPERCASE LETTERS (A-Z), numbers (0-9) and these symbols can be used: periods (.), dashes (-), and underscores (_). Coupon codes with lowercase or other symbols cannot be created. Custom coupon codes can only be used once per course.
7. Click Review coupon to double-check the coupon’s details.
8. Click Create coupon.
You cannot edit or delete a coupon, including the start date and time, once it has been created. A coupon can only be toggled on and off using the status slider on the right. Please see the How to deactivate a coupon section below for more information.
How to share your coupon code
Once a coupon is created, it will appear in the coupon table. On the right-hand side, click Share coupon to access your coupon code link.
It's recommended that you share the coupon link when promoting your course. When a potential student clicks on the link, the coupon will be applied to that course’s price automatically. If you do not share the coupon link, students will have to redeem your coupon code on the course landing page.
Important: When you share your coupon code, we require that you clearly indicate when and how long it will be available and how many people will be able to redeem it before it expires (e.g., “This coupon expires on [DATE] and is limited to a maximum of [NUMBER] redemptions.”).
How to deactivate a coupon
Once a coupon has been created, it cannot be edited or deleted. If you would like to deactivate a coupon, however, it can be turned off and will no longer be active for your course. Deactivating a coupon will not give you the ability to create more than three coupons per course in a given month.
- Navigate to the Promotions page
- In the Active coupons section, under the Status column, toggle the applicable coupon from on to off.