Many instructors add supplemental resources to their lectures as a means to enhance the learning experience of the course. These resources can quickly be accessed and viewed on the Udemy Android app.
How to Access Resources on The Android App
Please follow these steps to access the resource files on your Android mobile device:
1. Navigate to the course dashboard
2. Swipe to the More tab
3. Tap the Resources section
4. You will see a list of the resources files that are available to view. If the resources are PDF files, you can go to step 5 to learn how to download them to your mobile device.
5. Tap the vertical ellipses in the upper right side of the screen
6. Tap Download
To access the downloaded PDF file outside of the app, please go to Internal storage > Download and open it with your reader program.
If you plan on being disconnected from the internet, you can save individual lectures, sections, or an entire course for offline viewing on the Android mobile app. Due to piracy concerns, you can only access a Udemy course within the app, since the downloaded offline content is encrypted. Once the course is fully downloaded, you can go to Ready offline course on the My Courses tab to start learning.
Please note that practice activities like quizzes and practice tests, etc. cannot be downloaded and completed offline. For steps on how to adjust the video quality of lectures you want to download on the mobile app, please click here.
Download a Single Lecture
You can download a single lecture from your Android device in a couple of ways:
1) From the Course Curriculum, tap on the download icon, which appears beside the lecture title.
2) Go to the lecture, tap the ellipses at the upper-right corner and choose Save for Offline.
After you download a lecture for offline viewing, the circle icon will turn color. After the lecture has been downloaded, you can watch it an offline setting by tapping the lecture title.
If you decide to delete the saved lecture, then you can do so by tapping on the download icon. You can also find the Delete Offline content option in the lecture options.
For more information on how to delete saved lectures from your device, please refer to this article.
Download a Section for Offline Viewing
You can also select all the lectures in a particular section for download by tapping the download icon in the section title.
Download an Entire Course
If you would like to save an entire course for offline viewing, please follow these steps:
1) Tap on the grey download icon, which appears near the top of the right-hand side of the course curriculum
2) Next, tap on Download Course option
Once the lectures have been downloaded successfully for offline viewing, the grey download icons will turn color.
Download the Content to a SD External Card
If you have an Android device with limited internal storage, you can opt to save the offline content to the external memory card (mircoSD card).
- Open Menu in the Udemy app
- Navigate to the Account page and then Download options
- Toggle on the Download to SD card option
- Close the app
- Relaunch the app from the Home screen. Moving forward, the download content will be stored in your external SD card
Steps on how to fix some of the more common issues related to downloading courses on the Udemy mobile app can be read here.
Mobile Data Usage
To avoid unexpected data usage, we recommend downloading lectures to your device when it is connected to Wifi:
On the Android app, please go to Account> Download options > and toggle on the Download via Wi-Fi only option.
If you play downloaded lectures while your mobile data still is still turned on, the Udemy app will not use mobile data to load the video content. Some mobile data, however, may be used to load certain features in the background (About this course information, QA questions, etc) or initiate some server calls to update the course progress. As such, if you do not want to use any mobile data for the app, be sure to turn off the internet connection completely, or turn off mobile data usage for the Udemy app from the device’s system settings.
Video and audio lectures will be automatically marked as complete when the lecture finishes playing. Text and PDF based lectures are automatically marked as complete seconds after the lecture loads.
Mark the Lecture as Completed
You can mark a lecture as complete on your Android device by following the steps below:
- Click the ellipses in the upper right-hand corner of the course player
- Select Mark as Completed