Practice Tests enable instructors to create comprehensive, longform simulated exams that students can use to assess their knowledge of a particular subject. Similar to Quizzes, Practice Tests are composed of multiple choice or multiple selection questions, but unlike Quizzes, Practice Tests can provide a longer, more robust assessment tool.
While Practice Tests can be added to any standard Udemy course, they are particularly useful for subjects when students are preparing for a final exam. Examples of these types of exams include the SAT, GMAT, ACT, or the various certification exams used in various professional industries like IT, Architecture, Finance, and Business.
In addition to adding Practice Tests to standard Udemy courses, Instructors can create a new course, composed only of Practice Tests.
This article outlines how instructors can create and add practice tests to their courses.
How to Add a Practice Test to Your Curriculum
To add a practice test for your course curriculum, follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to the Course Curriculum page, scroll down to the bottom, and click on Add Practice Test
2. Enter the practice test’s title, description, how much time students have to complete the exam, and the minimum score students must get in order to pass it. The option to randomize the order of questions and answers in the exam, can also be toggled on here.
Once this information has been entered, click on Add Practice Test to proceed.
The practice test will be added to your curriculum, and you can now begin adding questions to it.
How to Add Questions to a Practice Test
Once you have added the practice test to your curriculum, you can add questions to it, by using either the Add Single Question or Batch Question Uploader options.
To begin, click on Add Questions on the right hand side of the Practice Test icon. Next, you will be asked to select either the Add Single Question or Batch Question Uploader option.
Using the Add Single Question Option
Questions can be created and added to a practice test, one-by-one, by using the Add Single Question option.
After you click Add Single Question, you will be prompted to create either a Multiple Choice or Multiple Selection question. The questions in a multiple choice format have only one correct answer. In a multiple selection question, however, more than one correct answer can be selected.
Once you’ve selected the type of question you wish to create, follow these steps to complete it:
- Enter the question
- Create possible answers. You can write up to 15.
- Select the correct answer(s) by clicking on the circle to the left
- Enter an explanation as to why that answer is the correct one. If you’re creating a Multiple Selection question, then outline why each answer is correct
- Add a Knowledge Area (optional). If your practice test contains groups of questions that focus on certain sub-topics, you can create Knowledge Areas and add questions into them. After students complete the Practice Test, they will see their overall score, as well as their score in each Knowledge Area.
- Click Save
After you’ve saved the question, you can add the next questions in the test by repeating the steps outlined above.
Using the Batch Question Uploader
The Bulk Question Uploader allows you to upload an existing set of questions into a Udemy Practice Test. To use the uploader, first download Udemy's Practice Test Question Template, and format your questions according to the document. A link to download the template will appear after you click on the Bulk Question Uploader option.
You can also access the template by clicking here. The template can be used for either Multiple Choice or Multiple Selection questions.
Once you’ve completed the template, return to the Bulk Question Uploader option in the Practice Test, and click on Upload CSV File.
Previewing the Test
Once you’ve added questions to the Practice Test, you can see how the exam will appear to students, by clicking on Preview
Publishing the Practice Test
Once the practice test is created and the questions have been added, you can make it live in the course by clicking on Publish Practice Test.
Publish a Practice Test Only Course
If you wish to create a course that only contains practice tests, follow these steps:
- Move your cursor to the Instructor dropdown menu at the top right hand of the page
- Click on Create a Course
- Select the This is a practice test-only course option that appears under the working title option
- Follow the steps outlined above to create your practice test(s) and publish your course
Practice Test FAQ
Do students have to finish the exam once they’ve started it? Or can they pause it and return to the practice test later?
If a student needs to leave during the practice test, or they decide they wish to work on something else and they exit the exam, the timer will automatically pause. When they’re ready to return to the practice test, the exam will resume where the student left off.
Can students review their answers and see their final score?
Yes. Students can review all the answers they’ve submitted by clicking on “Review Questions” after they’ve completed the exam. Their final score will also be posted after they complete the test.
Can students take the practice test more than once?
Yes. Just like our quiz feature, students can go back and retake the practice exam as many times as they wish.
Do students have to pass the practice test in order to receive their Certificate of Completion for the course?
No. As long as students complete the practice test, and all of the course’s curriculum items, they will receive a Certificate of Completion, even if they do not pass the exam.
Can students manually mark the practice test as complete?
No. Students must complete each question in the practice test before the system will record the exam as completed.