This article explains how you can set up your instructor account and take your first step to publishing a course on Udemy! There is no fee to open or to maintain an instructor account.
More information on the benefits of becoming a Udemy instructor, and why you should teach online with Udemy is available in this article.
What you need to create an instructor account
- An email address where you can receive emails.
- If you plan to create a paid course and receive payments for your course, you will need a PayPal or Payoneer account to set up your Udemy payment method.
- Note: instructors who reside in the United States and have a U.S. bank account, can also use direct deposit to receive Udemy payments.
Steps to create an instructor account
- Go to Udemy.com on your browser.
- If you have a student account, click Log in in the upper right corner of the screen; if you do not have a Udemy account, click on Sign Up to create an account.
- Click Teach on Udemy.
- Next, click Become an Instructor.
- You will be asked to answer some questions about your teaching experience. Please follow the instructions on the screen.
- Once you have completed the questionnaire, you will be redirected to the instructor dashboard, a dedicated screen for instructors to create and manage their courses.
Setting up your instructor profile
Click on the circular icon in the upper right corner of the screen to enter your instructor profile.
The information you enter in this tab will be visible to the public as your instructor profile once the course is published. You can edit the information at any point in time.
Instructor name: Enter the name you wish to use as the instructor name. You may use a pseudonym if you wish.
Since Udemy is a global platform, registered names are displayed in the order of "First Name + Last Name". If you would like your name to appear in the order of "Last Name + First Name", please enter your last name in the First Name field and your first name in the Last Name field.
Headline: Your occupation, specialization, and qualification
Biography: Your professional and personal profile
Language: Your primary language
Links: Your website and your social networking services. For your social networking services, please make sure to only enter the "account name" of the URL
Click Save at the bottom right.
In the Profile Picture tab, click on Upload image to upload a high-quality image of yourself. Include a high-quality, non-pixelated, non-animated image of yourself to establish more trust with your students. If you are publishing as a company you can upload your corporate logo.
- Click "Upload Image" and select the image you wish to use.
- Adjust the position and size of the image, and then click Crop Image. The image will appear round on your profile page, so make sure your face is centered.
- Click Save.
When your profile photo is successfully registered, it will be reflected in the circular icon in the upper right corner of the page.
Learn more about our quality standards for instructor profiles.
In this tab, you can make changes to the privacy setting of your profile page.
Show your profile to logged-in users
Check this box if you want your profile to be visible only to logged-in users.
Show your courses you’re taking on your profile page
Check this box if you wish to show the courses you are enrolled in on your profile.
Please note, once you become a published instructor your privacy settings will default to make your profile visible to the public, your profile will be searchable in search engines, and your profile will only include the courses you are teaching (excluding any private courses).
Register as a Premium Instructor
If you plan on selling your course on Udemy’s marketplace, in order to set a price for your course, you need to register as a Premium Instructor. For more information on how to do this, please see Learn how to become a Premium Instructor.
How to collaboratively create a course
If you are collaborating with multiple people to create or manage a course, each person should create their own account. Learn more about registering different types of instructor accounts with varying permissions.
Keep in mind that any accounts which are to receive a share of the revenue must become registered as a Premium instructor. For additional information, please see our Co-Instructructor Rules and Guidelines.
How to create an instructor account as a business
You can also open a Udemy instructor account as a company or organization. The process for opening an account is the same as above. Please note, however, that we may need to reach out to the representative of your company during the instructor verification process to confirm the association.
Once you have opened an account and filled out your profile, it is time to proceed to creating a course. From the instructor dashboard, you can click on New Course to begin.