This article shares general troubleshooting steps to take if you are experiencing website issues with Udemy.com.
- View resources for mobile app troubleshooting
Why is Udemy not working?
If you are experiencing some issues with our website, please try the troubleshooting steps below. We recommend searching online for instructions on how to complete these steps for your specific device and browser.
2. Check that your device’s browser and operating system meet the Udemy System Requirements.
3. Ensure your browser is updated to the latest version.
4. Access your account in a different browser. If the problem doesn’t occur, the issue is likely isolated to the first browser. If you contact us, please let us know which browsers you tried.
5. Login to your account from a private or incognito window. An incognito window will turn off extensions and add-ons that may interfere with Udemy Business. If private browsing fixes the problem, continue following the steps below to resolve the issue for your browser.
6. Try to clear your cache and cookies. Be sure to restart your browser before trying again.
7. Disable browser extensions that might be interfering with your site.
8. If you have other devices or connections available, such as another computer or wireless network, try logging in to your Udemy account from that device or network. If you don't have the same problem, the issue may be related to the first device or network.
More troubleshooting support
For more specific troubleshooting, please view the following resources:
- Payment failures: Troubleshooting if you are unable to complete your purchase
- Missing course: Instructions if you are having trouble finding your course after purchase.
- Login issues: Troubleshooting when signing in to your Udemy account or resetting your password.
- Audio and Video issues: Troubleshooting instructions for your browser or the mobile app.
- Other issues: View all troubleshooting resources for course-taking and payment issues.
Still need help?
If you’ve tried all of the steps above and you’re still having trouble, please contact our Support Team with a screenshot or screencast of the issue, your browser version, and your operating system.
For a quicker resolution time, please let us know any information from the above steps you have tried to diagnose the issue.
This article outlines what you should do if you encounter issues while attempting to use UPI, Paytm and mobile wallets to make purchases on Udemy in India.
Using UPI, Paytm or mobile wallets to make purchases in India
In addition to our other payment methods, eligible learners located in India can make purchases on Udemy using India UPI, Paytm or mobile wallets.
If one of these payment methods is available to you in your region, you will see the option to use it during the checkout process. After selecting the payment method you wish to use, follow the steps as directed to complete your purchase.
I’m having trouble completing my payment.
If you're receiving an error message on the Udemy checkout page and are unable to complete your purchase, review how you can troubleshoot payment failures.
I can’t find my course(s) after using Paytm, UPI and mobile wallets to complete my purchase. What should I do?
- After enrolling in a course, check to see that you’ve received a confirmation email from Udemy. A confirmation email from email@example.com will be sent to the email address registered to your Udemy account. Be sure to also check your junk mail folder.
- If you haven’t received a confirmation email, check to see if you have created multiple, Udemy accounts. The confirmation email and your course(s) may have been delivered to another account you have.
- Additional troubleshooting steps on how to find missing courses are available in this Help Center article.
- Check to see if your transaction is listed as a temporary authorization hold or a pending purchase.
- Please note that you will receive a mobile confirmation from the payment provider for the transaction; however, the payment may not have been completed yet. In these cases, the course(s) will not be added to your Udemy account until the payment has been successfully completed and we have received an official confirmation. Learn more about temporary authorization holds and pending purchases.
- If funds have been withdrawn from your bank account for a transaction that is neither a pending purchase or temporary authorization hold, please have your bank provide a letter confirming that you have been charged.
- A verification letter from your bank is required in order to escalate the issue with the applicable payment provider, as copies or images of bank statements are not accepted. Please include the verification letter in the ticket that you submit to Udemy Support.
After attempting to make a purchase on Udemy, you may notice a charge in your banking information, even though no new course(s) are accessible in your Udemy account. Typically this is the result of a temporary authorization hold or a pending purchase.
This article explains what temporary authorization holds and pending purchases are, and when they should be removed from your banking information or purchase history.
What is a temporary authorization hold? And why do they happen?
A temporary authorization hold is initiated by the payment processor on their end to verify that your card is active and that enough funds are available for the purchase. As a result, you may temporarily see a charge for the Udemy purchase you attempted to make, even though the transaction was declined and no course(s) were delivered to your account.
- Authorization holds are not actual charges and will be reversed after the payment processor gets a response from your bank.
- When a temporary authorization hold is applied, the course you attempted to purchase will not be added to your Udemy account, since the purchase was not in fact finalized.
When will the temporary authorization hold be removed?
Generally speaking, it takes 2-4 business days before the temporary authorization hold is removed; however, depending on your financial institution, it may take up to 30 days.
If it’s been over 30 days and you believe you were in fact charged for the purchase, and the course has not been added to your Udemy account, please have your financial institution provide a letter confirming that you have been charged and submit it to Udemy Support. We’ll be happy to help.
Example of a temporary authorization hold
- A learner attempts to make a purchase.
- They are notified during checkout that the purchase was not successful.
- Despite the payment failure, a charge for the transaction appears in their banking information (temporarily).
- 2- 4 business days later, the temporary authorization hold is removed and the funds are no longer held.
What are pending purchases?
“Pending” purchases occur when the payment processor is still attempting to finalize the transaction. When this happens, a payment attempt will be listed as a “Pending” purchase in your Udemy account’s Purchase history.
“Pending” purchases may occur even though a charge for the purchase is listed in your banking information, and even though during checkout, the system indicated the transaction was successful.
- Once the payment processor is able to verify the card and process the transaction, the “Pending” status will be removed and you will receive a confirmation email of enrollment from Udemy. The course(s) will also be added to your Udemy account.
- If the payment processor is unable to finalize the transaction, the “Pending” status will be removed and the course(s) will not be delivered to your Udemy account.
When will the pending purchase be finalized?
Generally speaking, it takes approximately 7 business days before pending purchases are finalized; however, depending on your financial institution, it may take up to 30 days.
When a transaction for a pending purchase is ultimately declined, it typically takes around 2 business days before the learner receives a notification from their payment provider.
If it’s been over 30 days and the pending purchase still hasn’t been finalized, please contact your financial institution.
Example of a pending purchase
- A learner attempts to make a purchase
- They are notified that the transaction was successful, but they are unable to access their course(s). The purchase is listed as “Pending” in their Purchase history.
- Approximately 2 days later, the learner is notified by their payment provider that the payment failed.
- The “Pending” purchase is removed from their Purchase history.
If you're receiving an error message on the Udemy checkout page and are unable to complete your purchase, this article explains how you can resolve payment failures.
- Encountering issues with one of our payment methods? Learn more about other payment methods you can try.
Can’t find your course after successfully paying for it? Please review these instructions on how to find your missing course.
How to troubleshoot payment failures
If you’re having trouble completing a purchase on Udemy, please:
1. Double check that you’re entering the correct details for your payment method and that your card is up-to-date (additional tips on how to do this are available below).
2. If you’re still receiving an error message that the payment could not be completed, please contact your bank.
- Some of the most common reasons banks decline payments include insufficient funds, card purchase limitations, and card security policies. For example, some cards have usage limitations, and will automatically block payment attempts after a certain threshold has been reached.
Please note that Udemy is not able to remove any restrictions that your card’s issuing bank has enabled.
Important note regarding VPN use
If you're using a VPN while attempting to make a purchase, please note that multiple IP addresses can result in authorization problems and failed transactions. We advise that you refrain from using a virtual private network (VPN) while making a purchase on Udemy.
Temporary authorization holds and pending purchases
After attempting to make a purchase on Udemy, you may notice a temporary authorization hold in your banking information or a pending purchase listed in your purchase history.
- Learn more about temporary authorization holds and pending purchases, and when they should be removed.
Purchasing on Udemy in India With UPI, Wallets & PayTM?
Review what you should do if you encounter issues while using UPI, Wallets and PayTM.
Tips for checking your payment method’s information
Be sure to enter the first and last name of the card account holder, exactly as it appears on the card, and that you enter it in the Name on card field. For example, if the card account holder’s name reads John R. Doe, then John R. Doe must be entered, as shown below.
Make sure that the correct CVC code is being entered, as listed on the back of the card, and that the expiry date for the card is still valid. If you’re encountering issues while trying to purchase with a saved payment method, try deleting it and re-adding it to ensure the details are correct and up to date.
If your payment failure states it is due to a zip code or postal code error, please contact your bank to ensure they have the right one on file. If zip codes aren't applicable in your country, however, and you still see a zip code field, please try entering all zeros (00000).
Do not use a Rocketmail email address for your account. Payment attempts from Udemy accounts with Rocketmail addresses will not be accepted by our system. Please try changing your email address to a non-Rocketmail domain.
Clear your browser’s cache: if you’re seeing a notification your card number looks invalid or icons aren’t showing up, there may be a caching issue. Please clear your browser’s cache and try again.
Questions about the price of a course?
Learn more about how courses are priced.
Have questions about Udemy’s buy now, pay later options?
Review frequently asked questions regarding Udemy’s buy now, pay later options.
If you've enrolled in a course and it’s not located in the My learning section of your Udemy account, this article explains the most common reasons for this, and how you can find your course.
Looking for courses you tried purchasing through the Udemy mobile app? Please review the articles below.
Table of contents
- Reviewing recent purchase attempts at Udemy.com to find your missing course
- Finding courses you had started or confirmed were in your Udemy account
- Having trouble redeeming or finding your Udemy gift?
Reviewing recent purchase attempts at Udemy.com to find your missing course
If you recently attempted to purchase a course while accessing Udemy.com on a browser, but don’t see the course in your My learning section, please follow the steps below.
1. Confirm whether the purchase was successful
- 1.1. Check that you received a confirmation email for the course purchase: A confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org will be sent to the email address registered to your Udemy account when you successfully purchase a course. Be sure to also check your junk mail folder.
- 1.2. Check your banking information: Confirm that the course was in fact purchased, by double checking the payment history in your banking or PayPal account.
If you don’t see a confirmation email in the email account you were expecting to see it, and there is no record of the purchase in your banking information, this very likely indicates the purchase was not successful.
2. Is there a record of a transaction? Then please follow these steps next:
- 2.1. Is the transaction a temporary authorization hold or pending purchases? After attempting to make a purchase on Udemy, you may notice a charge in your banking information, even though no new course(s) are accessible in your Udemy account. Typically this is the result of a temporary authorization hold or a pending purchase. Learn more.
- Did you try purchasing a course in India with UPI, Paytm or a mobile wallet? And are unable to find it? Review what to do if you encounter issues while attempting to use these payment methods.
- Did you try purchasing a course using Pix and are unable to find it? Review answers for frequently asked questions we receive regarding Pix.
- 2.2. Are you logged into the correct Udemy account? If you don’t see a confirmation email in the email account you were expecting, but there is a charge appearing in your banking history, this could indicate you purchased the course while logged into Udemy with a different email address. Or, it could indicate that your account was created with an email address that had an accidental typo.
Finding courses you previously started or confirmed were in your Udemy account
If you don’t see a course you previously began or saw in your My learning page, please check the Archived section of your account. If the course isn’t located there, confirm you’re logged into the correct Udemy account.
Please note that on rare occasions, a course may be removed from the Udemy platform. Learn more.
Having trouble redeeming or finding your Udemy gift?