Purchasing on Udemy in India With UPI, Paytm & Mobile WalletsRead article
This article outlines what you should do if you encounter issues while attempting to use UPI, Paytm and mobile wallets to make purchases on Udemy in India.
Using UPI, Paytm or mobile wallets to make purchases in India
In addition to our other payment methods, eligible learners located in India can make purchases on Udemy using India UPI, Paytm or mobile wallets.
If one of these payment methods is available to you in your region, you will see the option to use it during the checkout process. After selecting the payment method you wish to use, follow the steps as directed to complete your purchase.
I’m having trouble completing my payment.
If you're receiving an error message on the Udemy checkout page and are unable to complete your purchase, review how you can troubleshoot payment failures.
I can’t find my course(s) after using Paytm, UPI and mobile wallets to complete my purchase. What should I do?
- After enrolling in a course, check to see that you’ve received a confirmation email from Udemy. A confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org will be sent to the email address registered to your Udemy account. Be sure to also check your junk mail folder.
- If you haven’t received a confirmation email, check to see if you have created multiple, Udemy accounts. The confirmation email and your course(s) may have been delivered to another account you have.
- Additional troubleshooting steps on how to find missing courses are available in this Help Center article.
- Check to see if your transaction is listed as a temporary authorization hold or a pending purchase.
- Please note that you will receive a mobile confirmation from the payment provider for the transaction; however, the payment may not have been completed yet. In these cases, the course(s) will not be added to your Udemy account until the payment has been successfully completed and we have received an official confirmation. Learn more about temporary authorization holds and pending purchases.
- If funds have been withdrawn from your bank account for a transaction that is neither a pending purchase or temporary authorization hold, please have your bank provide a letter confirming that you have been charged.
- A verification letter from your bank is required in order to escalate the issue with the applicable payment provider, as copies or images of bank statements are not accepted. Please include the verification letter in the ticket that you submit to Udemy Support.
Temporary Authorization Holds and Pending PurchasesRead article
After attempting to make a purchase on Udemy, you may notice a charge in your banking information, even though no new course(s) are accessible in your Udemy account. Typically this is the result of a temporary authorization hold or a pending purchase.
This article explains what temporary authorization holds and pending purchases are, and when they should be removed from your banking information or purchase history.
What is a temporary authorization hold? And why do they happen?
A temporary authorization hold is initiated by the payment processor on their end to verify that your card is active and that enough funds are available for the purchase. As a result, you may temporarily see a charge for the Udemy purchase you attempted to make, even though the transaction was declined and no course(s) were delivered to your account.
- Authorization holds are not actual charges and will be reversed after the payment processor gets a response from your bank.
- When a temporary authorization hold is applied, the course you attempted to purchase will not be added to your Udemy account, since the purchase was not in fact finalized.
When will the temporary authorization hold be removed?
Generally speaking, it takes 2-4 business days before the temporary authorization hold is removed; however, depending on your financial institution, it may take up to 30 days.
If it’s been over 30 days and you believe you were in fact charged for the purchase, and the course has not been added to your Udemy account, please have your financial institution provide a letter confirming that you have been charged and submit it to Udemy Support. We’ll be happy to help.
Example of a temporary authorization hold
- A learner attempts to make a purchase.
- They are notified during checkout that the purchase was not successful.
- Despite the payment failure, a charge for the transaction appears in their banking information (temporarily).
- 2- 4 business days later, the temporary authorization hold is removed and the funds are no longer held.
What are pending purchases?
“Pending” purchases occur when the payment processor is still attempting to finalize the transaction. When this happens, a payment attempt will be listed as a “Pending” purchase in your Udemy account’s Purchase history.
“Pending” purchases may occur even though a charge for the purchase is listed in your banking information, and even though during checkout, the system indicated the transaction was successful.
- Once the payment processor is able to verify the card and process the transaction, the “Pending” status will be removed and you will receive a confirmation email of enrollment from Udemy. The course(s) will also be added to your Udemy account.
- If the payment processor is unable to finalize the transaction, the “Pending” status will be removed and the course(s) will not be delivered to your Udemy account.
When will the pending purchase be finalized?
Generally speaking, it takes approximately 7 business days before pending purchases are finalized; however, depending on your financial institution, it may take up to 30 days.
When a transaction for a pending purchase is ultimately declined, it typically takes around 2 business days before the learner receives a notification from their payment provider.
If it’s been over 30 days and the pending purchase still hasn’t been finalized, please contact your financial institution.
Example of a pending purchase
- A learner attempts to make a purchase
- They are notified that the transaction was successful, but they are unable to access their course(s). The purchase is listed as “Pending” in their Purchase history.
- Approximately 2 days later, the learner is notified by their payment provider that the payment failed.
- The “Pending” purchase is removed from their Purchase history.
Troubleshooting Payment FailuresRead article
If you're receiving an error message on the Udemy checkout page and are unable to complete your purchase, this article explains how you can resolve payment failures.
- Encountering issues with one of our payment methods? Learn more about other payment methods you can try.
- Can’t find your course after successfully paying for it? Please review these instructions on how to find your missing course.
How to troubleshoot payment failures
If you’re having trouble completing a purchase on Udemy, please:
1. Double check that you’re entering the correct details for your payment method and that your card is up-to-date (additional tips on how to do this are available below).
2. If you’re still receiving an error message that the payment could not be completed, please contact your bank.
- Some of the most common reasons banks decline payments include insufficient funds, card purchase limitations, and card security policies. For example, some cards have usage limitations, and will automatically block payment attempts after a certain threshold has been reached.
Please note that Udemy is not able to remove any restrictions that your card’s issuing bank has enabled.
Important note regarding VPN use
If you're using a VPN while attempting to make a purchase, please note that multiple IP addresses can result in authorization problems and failed transactions. We advise that you refrain from using a virtual private network (VPN) while making a purchase on Udemy.
Temporary authorization holds and pending purchases
After attempting to make a purchase on Udemy, you may notice a temporary authorization hold in your banking information or a pending purchase listed in your purchase history.
- Learn more about temporary authorization holds and pending purchases, and when they should be removed.
Purchasing on Udemy in India With UPI, Wallets & PayTM?
Review what you should do if you encounter issues while using UPI, Wallets and PayTM.
Tips for checking your payment method’s information
Be sure to enter the first and last name of the card account holder, exactly as it appears on the card, and that you enter it in the Name on card field. For example, if the card account holder’s name reads John R. Doe, then John R. Doe must be entered, as shown below.
Make sure that the correct CVC code is being entered, as listed on the back of the card, and that the expiry date for the card is still valid. If you’re encountering issues while trying to purchase with a saved payment method, try deleting it and re-adding it to ensure the details are correct and up to date.
If your payment failure states it is due to a zip code or postal code error, please contact your bank to ensure they have the right one on file. If zip codes aren't applicable in your country, however, and you still see a zip code field, please try entering all zeros (00000).
Do not use a Rocketmail email address for your account. Payment attempts from Udemy accounts with Rocketmail addresses will not be accepted by our system. Please try changing your email address to a non-Rocketmail domain.
Clear your browser’s cache: if you’re seeing a notification your card number looks invalid or icons aren’t showing up, there may be a caching issue. Please clear your browser’s cache and try again.
Questions about the price of a course?
Learn more about how courses are priced.
How to Find Your Missing CourseRead article
If you've bought a course and it’s not showing up in the My learning section of your Udemy account, this article explains the most common reasons for this, and how you can find your course.
Looking for courses you tried purchasing through the Udemy mobile app? If you've tried purchasing a course through the Apple App Store or Google Play, and are unable to find it, please review the articles below.
- Missing iOS Course Purchases (Apple App Store)
- Missing Android App Purchases (Google Play)
Check your account's My learning page and Archived section
If you don’t see the course you tried purchasing on your My learning page, please check the Archived section of your account. If the course isn’t located there, please follow the steps outlined below.
Confirm you received a confirmation email for the course purchase
1. After enrolling in a course, check to see that you’ve received a confirmation email from Udemy. A confirmation email from email@example.com will be sent to the email address registered to your Udemy account. Be sure to also check your junk mail folder.
2. If you don’t see a confirmation email in that email account, this could indicate you purchased the course while logged into Udemy with a different email address (or with an account that was created with an accidental typo: see below for more information).
- See if you have multiple accounts registered with Udemy: occasionally students create more than one Udemy account by mistake. If you use multiple email accounts, or have an Apple, Facebook, or Google account, try logging in with the associated email addresses. Check to see if the course you purchased is in that account.
- Learn more about how to check if you created multiple, Udemy accounts.
- If you discover that you have created a second Udemy account by accident, and would like to merge the two accounts, please review our rules and instructions on how to merge accounts.
If you didn’t receive a confirmation email in your email accounts, and it’s not in your spam folders, this could indicate the purchase did not go through.
Check your banking information
Confirm that the course was in fact purchased by double checking the payment history in your banking or PayPal account.
If the purchase is showing in your financial information, but you have not been able to locate the course following the steps outlined above, you may have entered your email address incorrectly when you first signed up for Udemy. As a result, our system would attempt sending the confirmation email to that address, instead of the correct one.
If you believe this may have happened, please contact our support team and provide the information that’s requested in the form.
Having trouble redeeming or finding your Udemy gift?
Learn more about redeeming your Udemy gift and what to do if you can’t find the gift’s email notification.
Did you try purchasing a course using Pix and are unable to find it?
Review answers for frequently asked questions we receive regarding Pix.